RE: Where do I find what colors and fonts are available?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Hornberger, Chris, May 14, 2004.

  1. >> and font names are available on my system. I'm using Windows 2000.
    >I'd search for *.ttf (a particular kind of font file), and look at the
    >directories where several of these show up. This is, of course, a Win2K
    >rather than Python Question. On my installation, the fonts are in
    >C:\WINNT\Fonts.

    *nods* You mentioned that's a platform issue and not a Python issue. That's key, depending on what he's looking to do.

    If he's looking for platform independence (and who wouldn't be in Python?), whatever GUI manager he's using will probably have the necessary functions/libraries for enumerating the fonts that *it* knows how to deal with, which would be the more accurate way to find fonts... speaking, again, platform-independently.

    Hornberger, Chris, May 14, 2004

  2. Hornberger, Chris

    Guest

    "Hornberger, Chris" wrote:

    > >> and font names are available on my system. I'm using Windows 2000.

    > >I'd search for *.ttf (a particular kind of font file), and look at the
    > >directories where several of these show up. This is, of course, a Win2K
    > >rather than Python Question. On my installation, the fonts are in
    > >C:\WINNT\Fonts.

    > *nods* You mentioned that's a platform issue and not a Python issue. That's key, depending on what he's looking to do.
    >
    > If he's looking for platform independence (and who wouldn't be in Python?), whatever GUI manager he's using will probably have the necessary functions/libraries for enumerating the fonts that *it* knows how to deal with, which would be the more accurate way to find fonts... speaking, again, platform-independently.

    I didn't mention it in my original post, but I do need platform
    independence. I want to choose fonts and colors that will work with
    Windows or linux. So I need a way of knowing what my options are, i.e.,
    what colornames and fonts are available, both on my system and other
    peoples systems. For example, "blue" is always available, but "salmon"
    may not be.
    "courier" is probably always available, but "Bookman Old Style" may not
    be.

    At the moment I don't even know what's available on my own system, let
    alone other people's, and I have not found this info in any
    documentation.

    Does Tkinter include its own fonts and colors? If so, where do I find
    their names? If not, same question anyway.

    "Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in
    pursuit of the goal." - Friedrich Nietzsche

    http://annevolve.sourceforge.net is what I'm into nowadays.
    Humans may write to me at this address: zenguy at shaw dot ca

    , May 14, 2004

  3. Hornberger, Chris

    klappnase Guest

    > I didn't mention it in my original post, but I do need platform
    > independence. I want to choose fonts and colors that will work with
    > Windows or linux. So I need a way of knowing what my options are, i.e.,
    > what colornames and fonts are available, both on my system and other
    > peoples systems. For example, "blue" is always available, but "salmon"
    > may not be.
    > "courier" is probably always available, but "Bookman Old Style" may not
    > be.
    >
    > At the moment I don't even know what's available on my own system, let
    > alone other people's, and I have not found this info in any
    > documentation.
    >
    > Does Tkinter include its own fonts and colors? If so, where do I find
    > their names? If not, same question anyway.

    As far as colors are concerned I think it might be easiest to use
    hexadecimal color descriptors if you are uncertain, like bg='#ff0000'
    instead of 'red' .

    Michael

    klappnase, May 16, 2004