Re: Which book is better, Core Java or Thinking in Java?

Discussion in 'Java' started by ge0rge, May 1, 2005.

  1. ge0rge

    ge0rge Guest

    SteveSmith@nomail. wrote:
    > Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?
    >
    > Is one of these two books better for learning Swing?

    Which of these two cars do you think is better for learning to fly - the
    BMW or the Merc?

    --
    Nothing motivates a man more than to see his boss put in an honest day's
    work.

    ge0rge, May 1, 2005

  2. ge0rge

    Guest

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 08:51:22 +0100, ge0rge <> wrote:

    >SteveSmith@nomail. wrote:
    >> Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?
    >>
    >> Is one of these two books better for learning Swing?

    >Which of these two cars do you think is better for learning to fly - the
    >BMW or the Merc?

    For flying? Neither. So what book would you recommend then?

    , May 1, 2005

  3. ge0rge

    Tony Morris Guest

    Tony Morris, May 1, 2005
  4. ge0rge

    Guest

    On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:19:51 +1000, "Tony Morris" <> wrote:

    >Neither.

    I appreciate the reply. I should have just asked for a recommendation for a first Java
    book. Or maybe I didn't understand your reply. ;-)

    , May 1, 2005
  5. ge0rge

    Tony Morris Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:19:51 +1000, "Tony Morris" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Neither.

    > I appreciate the reply. I should have just asked for a recommendation for

    a first Java
    > book. Or maybe I didn't understand your reply. ;-)

    The point being made here is that there is no "best". A more specific
    question would have likely yielded a more specific answer.
    There are many recommendations for a place to start; some prefer X to Y and
    others Y to Z.
    You won't find anything that fits the criteria of "best" though.

    --
    Tony Morris

    JTiger Unit Test Framework for J2SE 1.5
    http://www.jtiger.org/
    Java Q&A (FAQ, Trivia)
    http://qa.jtiger.org/
    http://xdweb.net/~dibblego/

    Tony Morris, May 1, 2005
  6. ge0rge

    Guest

    On Sun, 1 May 2005 22:57:03 +1000, "Tony Morris" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:19:51 +1000, "Tony Morris" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Neither.

    >> I appreciate the reply. I should have just asked for a recommendation for

    >a first Java
    >> book. Or maybe I didn't understand your reply. ;-)

    >The point being made here is that there is no "best". A more specific
    >question would have likely yielded a more specific answer.
    >There are many recommendations for a place to start; some prefer X to Y and
    >others Y to Z.
    >You won't find anything that fits the criteria of "best" though.

    Recommendations is what I'm looking for. I realize people will not all have the same
    opinion. Specifically I need a book for someone who is new to Java but not new to
    programming. I know C++ but I am no expert on it or on object oriented programming.
    Thanks.

    , May 1, 2005