Re: Who can help me?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Ioannis Vranos, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. Phlip wrote:

    > Sure. All applications require a phat and reusable lower level, extending
    > down thru the operating system, and they require a lite high-level
    > "command-and-control" layer. You could write in Ruby until your app gets
    > slow, and migrate the bottlenecks to C++, or you could write in C++ until
    > your programming gets slow, and then add a scriptable layer on top.
    >
    > Maybe "command and control" is a special purpose. You could also call it
    > "glue".

    You were promoting a language in another language newsgroup, as an
    answer to a language-specific question. That is trolling, but it may
    have not been intentional.

    I do not promote C++ in any Ruby newsgroup, although there would be
    strong points in many cases.

    Ruby is a scripting language, meaning it is a language for automating
    relatively simple tasks.

    It is also an interpreted language which makes it less space, time and
    installation efficient than compiled languages.

    Ruby as an alternative to C++ is a joke.

    However, using it to do real work with it for scripting tasks can be
    great and even fun.

    In any case, don't troll.

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
    Ioannis Vranos, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Ioannis Vranos

    Phlip Guest

    Ioannis Vranos wrote:

    > You were promoting a language in another language newsgroup, as an
    > answer to a language-specific question. That is trolling, but it may
    > have not been intentional.

    Trolling is intentionally seeking negative attention. I apologize for the
    fragility of your universe, but pointing out a good alternative to a
    question's direction is not trolling. It's part of what makes USENET work. I
    first heard of Linux on this newsgroup, from an enthusiast, long before you
    ever joined us.

    > I do not promote C++ in any Ruby newsgroup, although there would be
    > strong points in many cases.
    >
    > Ruby is a scripting language, meaning it is a language for automating
    > relatively simple tasks.

    It's an OO language which can be used for lite scripting tasks.

    > It is also an interpreted language which makes it less space, time and
    > installation efficient than compiled languages.
    >
    > Ruby as an alternative to C++ is a joke.

    I think I made a non-trivial case for them complementing each other.

    Were I ordered to compare them, I would point out that C++ templates exist
    only because nobody had the 'nads to rewrite the compiler, and make classes
    into real objects. Then one could pass classes into functions, and many
    Design Patterns, such as Prototype, would get much simpler.

    > However, using it to do real work with it for scripting tasks can be
    > great and even fun.
    >
    > In any case, don't troll.

    I won't if you won't. ;-)

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Ioannis Vranos

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Ioannis Vranos" <> wrote in message

    > Ruby as an alternative to C++ is a joke.

    As a learning vehicle, probably not.

    However, we're way off topic now.

    I'll stop here.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Phlip wrote:

    > Trolling is intentionally seeking negative attention. I apologize for the
    > fragility of your universe, but pointing out a good alternative to a
    > question's direction is not trolling. It's part of what makes USENET work. I
    > first heard of Linux on this newsgroup, from an enthusiast, long before you
    > ever joined us.

    Well, it is not that you mentioned Ruby just as a nice way to write
    scripting applications, or as an alternative for simple tasks without
    efficiency concerns, in a relevant discussion, but as an answer to a
    newcomer to C++ who was asking for a C++ compiler.

    For me it is the same thing as if you had suggested him to move to Java,
    as an answer to his question.

    > I think I made a non-trivial case for them complementing each other.

    Yes. I would not care if it was even a competing language.

    What I am debating here is your irrelevant answer. The same thing would
    apply if someone had asked in comp.lang.fortran a good fortran compiler
    to begin with, and I had suggested him to move in C++ instead.

    > Were I ordered to compare them, I would point out that C++ templates exist
    > only because nobody had the 'nads to rewrite the compiler, and make classes
    > into real objects. Then one could pass classes into functions, and many
    > Design Patterns, such as Prototype, would get much simpler.

    In C++, you can pass classes into functions and still they do not occupy
    space.

    Ioannis Vranos, Oct 18, 2004