Re: Who owns the variable in my header file ?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by James Kuyper, Oct 8, 2012.

  1. James Kuyper

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 10/08/2012 02:02 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
    > On 03/10/12 19:13, lipska the kat wrote:
    >> Hi

    > [snip]
    >
    > I've been reading this thread with increasing alarm ... there seems to
    > be no real way to be sure that one's code complies with ... what
    > exactly. According to wikipedia the 'C99 spec' is not available to
    > download for free.

    > The latest 'free' version appears to be
    > Committee Draft — Septermber(sic) 7, 2007 ISO/IEC 9899:TC3.
    >
    > Would this version be suitable for me to start with or have significant
    > changes been made since 2007.

    The official C99 documents were the original standard itself, plus three
    Technical Corrigenda (TC) that describe various modifications to the
    standard. The document you're referring to is 1256.pdf, which shows what
    C99 would look like after applying TC1, TC2, and TC3. It's technically
    not as official as those other documents, but it's free, and, far more
    convenient to use, and has only two known defects: the typo in the date
    that you mention, the fact that "The predefined macro
    __STDC_MB_MIGHT_NEQ_WC__ should be in 6.10.8p2 (conditional macros)
    rather than p1 (required macros)."
    I strongly recommend using n1256.pdf INSTEAD OF the official C99 standard.

    I gather that n1570.pdf is essentially identical to the current
    standard, C2011.

    James Kuyper, Oct 8, 2012

  2. James Kuyper <> writes:
    > On 10/08/2012 02:02 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
    >> On 03/10/12 19:13, lipska the kat wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> I've been reading this thread with increasing alarm ... there seems to
    >> be no real way to be sure that one's code complies with ... what
    >> exactly. According to wikipedia the 'C99 spec' is not available to
    >> download for free.

    >> The latest 'free' version appears to be
    >> Committee Draft — Septermber(sic) 7, 2007 ISO/IEC 9899:TC3.
    >>
    >> Would this version be suitable for me to start with or have significant
    >> changes been made since 2007.

    > The official C99 documents were the original standard itself, plus three
    > Technical Corrigenda (TC) that describe various modifications to the
    > standard. The document you're referring to is 1256.pdf, which shows what
    > C99 would look like after applying TC1, TC2, and TC3. It's technically
    > not as official as those other documents, but it's free, and, far more
    > convenient to use, and has only two known defects: the typo in the date
    > that you mention, the fact that "The predefined macro
    > __STDC_MB_MIGHT_NEQ_WC__ should be in 6.10.8p2 (conditional macros)
    > rather than p1 (required macros)."
    > I strongly recommend using n1256.pdf INSTEAD OF the official C99 standard.
    >
    > I gather that n1570.pdf is essentially identical to the current
    > standard, C2011.

    They're available here:

    The offical C99 standard (not including the three TCs) is available for
    $30 US from ANSI:

    http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=INCITS/ISO/IEC 9899-1999 (R2005)#.UHM-uE1kiSo

    and the individual TCs (3 for C99, 1 for C11) are available at no charge
    from ANSI. I think C11 is also available from ANSI, but I can't find it
    at the moment.

    But as James says, N1256 is *better* for most purposes than the official
    C99 standard.

    (The first Technical Corrigendum to C11 fixes an error in the
    definitions of the __STDC_VERSION__ and __STDC_LIB_EXT1__ macros, an
    error that exists in both the N1570 draft and the released standard.)

    Will write code for food.

    Keith Thompson, Oct 8, 2012