Re: Why C has Pointers.

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Nick Keighley, Dec 8, 2011.

  1. On Dec 8, 7:32 am, Borax Man <> wrote:
    > curixinfotech wrote:
    > > parshant

    > I can't believe how many people responded to this spam.

    in what sense is it spam? Is it widely posted? Is it off-topic? Is it
    cross posted? Has it been repeatedly posted? Does it originate from a
    bank employee in Bukino Fasu?

    Nick Keighley, Dec 8, 2011

  2. Nick Keighley <> wrote:
    > On Dec 8, 7:32 am, Borax Man <> wrote:
    > > curixinfotech wrote:
    > > > parshant

    > > I can't believe how many people responded to this spam.

    > in what sense is it spam? Is it widely posted? Is it off-topic? Is it
    > cross posted? Has it been repeatedly posted? Does it originate from a
    > bank employee in Bukino Fasu?

    It's troll, not spam.

    --
    André Gillibert

    André Gillibert, Dec 8, 2011

  3. On Dec 8, 12:44 pm, André Gillibert <>
    wrote:
    > Nick Keighley <> wrote:

    > > > I can't believe how many people responded to this spam.

    > > in what sense is it spam? Is it widely posted? Is it off-topic? Is it
    > > cross posted? Has it been repeatedly posted? Does it originate from a
    > > bank employee in Bukino Fasu?

    > It's troll, not spam.

    I'm not sure even that's true. he may genuinely wondering what
    pointers are for. It smells like homework though.

    Nick Keighley, Dec 9, 2011
  4. In article <>,
    Nick Keighley <> wrote:
    >On Dec 8, 12:44 pm, André Gillibert <>
    >wrote:
    >> Nick Keighley <> wrote:

    >> > in what sense is it spam? Is it widely posted? Is it off-topic? Is it
    >> > cross posted? Has it been repeatedly posted? Does it originate from a
    >> > bank employee in Bukino Fasu?

    >> It's troll, not spam.

    >I'm not sure even that's true. he may genuinely wondering what
    >pointers are for. It smells like homework though.

    I go with troll (and "good on him!").

    The real truth to keep in mind here is that the obvious answer to the
    question is: Because the inventors (and subsequent maintainers) of the
    language put them in. I.e., the question is equivalent to "Why is the
    background of the 'Mona Lisa' the color that it is?" It is that color
    because the artist made it that way. That's really all there is to it.

    The problem is that the question gets people's dander up - it incites them
    to interpret the question as a criticism of the language. Now, maybe that
    is really what the questioner has in mind, but the fact remains that "we"
    shouldn't take the bait. We should just answer as above.

    --
    Just for a change of pace, this sig is *not* an obscure reference to
    comp.lang.c...

    Kenny McCormack, Dec 9, 2011
  5. On Dec 9, 4:59 pm, (Kenny McCormack) wrote:

    > The problem is that the question gets people's dander up - it incites them
    > to interpret the question as a criticism of the language.  Now, maybe that
    > is really what the questioner has in mind, but the fact remains that "we"
    > shouldn't take the bait.  We should just answer as above.

    In the early days of C, you sometimes heard of programmers being told,
    "You can program in C as long as you don't use pointers". That's
    impractical, of course.

    But pointers can cause terrible problems. Most languages hide them
    from the programmer. C doesn't, and it's entirely legitimate to
    discuss that design decision.
    --
    Basic Algorithms: how do JPEG files work?
    http://www.malcommclean.site11.com/www

    Malcolm McLean, Dec 10, 2011
  6. On Dec 9, 2:59 pm, (Kenny McCormack) wrote:
    > In article <..com>,
    > Nick Keighley  <> wrote:
    > >On Dec 8, 12:44 pm, André Gillibert <>
    > >wrote:

    > >> It's troll, not spam.

    > >I'm not sure even that's true. he may genuinely wondering what
    > >pointers are for. It smells like homework though.

    > I go with troll (and "good on him!").
    >
    > The real truth to keep in mind here is that the obvious answer to the
    > question is: Because the inventors (and subsequent maintainers) of the
    > language put them in.

    not sure that's completly, or usefully, true. A programming languages
    is designed (or intended to be) to be useful in expressing solutions
    to certain classes of problem. I suspect Richie put some thought into
    his pointers. He based them on BCPL but with subtle twists in both
    syntax and semantics. In short I don't think C pointer are an
    accident.

    > I.e., the question is equivalent to "Why is the
    > background of the 'Mona Lisa' the color that it is?"  It is that color
    > because the artist made it that way.  That's really all there is to it.

    again I suspect there were contraits on the colours Leonardo
    considered. Magnolia or rainbow stripes were probably unlikely.

    > The problem is that the question gets people's dander up - it incites them
    > to interpret the question as a criticism of the language.  Now, maybe that
    > is really what the questioner has in mind, but the fact remains that "we"
    > shouldn't take the bait.  We should just answer as above.

    I'm not the one saying the OP's a troll

    Nick Keighley, Dec 10, 2011