Re: Why do Perl programmers make more money than Python programmers

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Paul Rubin, May 5, 2013.

  1. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Ignoramus16992 <ignoramus16992@NOSPAM.16992.invalid> writes:
    > I would like to know, what explains the discrepancy.

    I see "New York" listed as a location for Perl but not for Python. That
    implies: 1) some general skew because of the very high cost of living in
    NY (even compared to San Francisco or Silicon Valley); 2) further skew
    because a good chuck of the NY programming jobs are in the financial
    sector, which shovels money around with heavy farm equipment (but is
    reportedly otherwise unpleasant to work in). Wall Street has done very
    well in the past few years, and some of that shows up as bonuses for the
    involved parties.

    I remember seeing a ridiculously high figure listed for Haskell, and
    then realized the reason for it was similar to the above. Most Haskell
    programmers I know can't actually get Haskell jobs.
    Paul Rubin, May 5, 2013

  2. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Paul Rubin <> writes:
    > I see "New York" listed as a location for Perl but not for Python.

    Whaat? It's there for Python, though in the #3 position rather than #2.
    I must have flipped through the slides too fast.
    Paul Rubin, May 5, 2013

  3. On Sunday, May 5, 2013 4:05:40 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus16992 wrote:
    > On 2013-05-05, Paul Rubin <> wrote:
    >
    > > Paul Rubin <> writes:

    > >> I see "New York" listed as a location for Perl but not for Python.

    > > Whaat? It's there for Python, though in the #3 position rather than #2.

    > > I must have flipped through the slides too fast.

    > My website algebra.com is written in perl, it is now #1,198 in the US
    >
    > rankings, based on Quantcast. I could not be happier with
    >
    > maintainability and robustness features of perl.

    > going undercover for the russian mob next week

    what doing for the russian mob?
    johannes falcone, May 6, 2013
  4. On Sunday, May 5, 2013 2:16:17 PM UTC-7, Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Ignoramus16992 <ignoramus16992@NOSPAM.16992.invalid> writes:
    >
    > > I would like to know, what explains the discrepancy.

    > I see "New York" listed as a location for Perl but not for Python. That
    >
    > implies: 1) some general skew because of the very high cost of living in
    >
    > NY (even compared to San Francisco or Silicon Valley); 2) further skew
    >
    > because a good chuck of the NY programming jobs are in the financial
    >
    > sector, which shovels money around with heavy farm equipment (but is
    >
    > reportedly otherwise unpleasant to work in). Wall Street has done very
    >
    > well in the past few years, and some of that shows up as bonuses for the
    >
    > involved parties.
    >

    > I remember seeing a ridiculously high figure listed for Haskell, and
    >
    > then realized the reason for it was similar to the above. Most Haskell
    >
    > programmers I know can't actually get Haskell jobs.

    you know multiple haskellers?

    doing web?

    cool!

    rad!!