Re: Why hardware designers should switch to Eclipse

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Hendrik, Mar 23, 2010.

  1. Hendrik

    Hendrik Guest

    You misunderstood. The only absolute path is in the user interface. If
    you move your project, you will also have to change parameters to
    point Emacs to the new location, be it a command line parameter.

    The paths in Makefiles do NOT depend on the location of the project.

    Hendrik.

    Hendrik, Mar 23, 2010

  2. Hendrik <> writes:

    > You misunderstood. The only absolute path is in the user interface. If

    That's my point. You have to change a path or do some operation.

    > you move your project, you will also have to change parameters to
    > point Emacs to the new location, be it a command line parameter.

    I don't change any location or parameters in emacs. I just open the
    source file and the build will be relative to the source file itself.
    Most of the time I have multiple emacs windows open. I don't close
    them ("uptime" for emacs is typically several months). To build on a
    different machine I simply switch to the other emacs window and type
    C-c C-k to build.

    This is just a minor distraction of Eclipse. The most annoying part
    for me is to dig out -O flags etc. far down in the hierarchy of
    windows and dialog boxes. In my makefile based setup I know exactly
    where to find them.

    Petter
    --
    ..sig removed by request.