Re: Why is Java-enabled web hosting so uncommon and expensive?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mickey Segal, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Matt O'Toole" <> wrote in message
    news:lO%Ja.5159$...
    > I'm amazed at what you can get
    > for so little money -- every common scripting language, tag languages like

    Cold
    > Fusion, Frontpage extensions, and databases too, all for less than $10/month.
    > Everything, that is, except Java, and JSP.

    LunarPages (http://lunarpages.com/hosting.html) has $10/month hosting with
    servlet / JSP support. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.
    Mickey Segal, Jul 2, 2003

  2. "Mickey Segal" <>, Wed, 02 Jul 2003 12:13:26 -0400:

    > "Matt O'Toole" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm amazed at what you can get
    >> for so little money -- every common scripting language, tag languages like

    > Cold
    >> Fusion, Frontpage extensions, and databases too, all for less than $10/month.
    >> Everything, that is, except Java, and JSP.

    > LunarPages (http://lunarpages.com/hosting.html) has $10/month hosting with
    > servlet / JSP support. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.

    I am currently setting up a page at a www.mycgiserver.com (thanks again
    for posting the link! forgot your name...)

    If you donate money to the guys hosting it, you will get extra services
    like bigger quota's and access to the J2EE registry.

    There are some strange quirks with the server like getting a mysterious
    page saying the server can contact the servlet runner at the local host,
    but this doesn't happen too often and presumably doesn't happen when you
    have donated money :).

    But in general my first impressions for personal use is quite good
    actually, especially considering you don't have to pay a single penny for
    it. (I am planning to wire some money to them).

    JSP pages are served with a short delay as is expected, but that is no big
    problem. (You can always compile them manually with the Jasper compiler).
    Servlets have shorter response times as expected since there is no need
    for compilation.

    Deploying a web app is a bit awkward at first, and things like
    getServletContext().getRealPath() doesn't work.

    There is no central database server and if you do need a database you need
    to use a database system that will access the database files directly
    through the filesystem using a JDBC driver. (hsqldb)

    Greets
    Bhun.
    dhek bhun kho, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Mickey Segal

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 00:38:37 GMT, dhek bhun kho
    <> wrote or quoted :

    > LunarPages (http://lunarpages.com/hosting.html) has $10/month hosting with
    >> servlet / JSP support. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.

    >I am currently setting up a page at a www.mycgiserver.com (thanks again
    >for posting the link! forgot your name...)

    For a list of Java friendly ISP's see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/isp.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > For a list of Java friendly ISP's see
    > http://mindprod.com/jgloss/isp.html

    What would be most helpful is a comparative review, but few programmers are
    going to try more than one or two companies themselves.

    (BTW there are some duplicates on Roedy Green's list.)

    I plan to try Lunarpages tomorrow. I promised Jason Hunter I'd report on my
    experiences for his list at http://www.servlets.com/isps/servlet/ISPViewAll
    Mickey Segal, Jul 10, 2003