Re: Why Parsing Error for Link href not found in XHTML

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bergamot, Dec 18, 2008.

  1. Bergamot

    Bergamot Guest

    Seni Seven wrote:
    > With HTML, I can include several <link> elements to a stylesheet of the
    > same name, in a cover-my-bases sort of way.
    >
    > <link href="/style/mscope.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
    > <link href="file://c|/style/mscope.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">

    Install a web server on your PC then you can mirror the remote site
    locally and get rid of junk like that. The alternative is to use
    relative URLs instead of absolute. BTW, your syntax for the file://
    protocol is incorrect.

    I suggest installing the same server as used remotely. Apache does run
    on Windows, so that shouldn't be any problem.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Dec 18, 2008

  2. Bergamot wrote:

    > Seni Seven wrote:
    >> With HTML, I can include several <link> elements to a stylesheet of
    >> the same name, in a cover-my-bases sort of way.
    >>
    >> <link href="/style/mscope.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
    >> <link href="file://c|/style/mscope.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">

    > Install a web server on your PC then you can mirror the remote site
    > locally and get rid of junk like that. The alternative is to use
    > relative URLs instead of absolute. BTW, your syntax for the file://
    > protocol is incorrect.
    >
    > I suggest installing the same server as used remotely. Apache does run
    > on Windows, so that shouldn't be any problem.

    The best solution. But if you do not wish to have a local webserver at
    least use relative paths that would work both locally and live online!

    <link href="style/mscope.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">

    or

    <link href="../style/mscope.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">

    or whatever the relative path dictates, because it is bad practice
    intentionally having link to non-existent resources...slows everything
    down forcing the web server to seek for something it will *not* find...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 18, 2008

  3. Bergamot

    Bergamot Guest

    That's why I said:
    >> The alternative is to use
    >> relative URLs instead of absolute.

    ;)

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Dec 18, 2008
  4. Bergamot wrote:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Bergamot wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I suggest installing the same server as used remotely. Apache does
    >>> run on Windows, so that shouldn't be any problem.

    >> The best solution. But if you do not wish to have a local webserver at
    >> least use relative paths that would work both locally and live online!

    > That's why I said:
    > >> The alternative is to use
    > >> relative URLs instead of absolute.

    > ;)

    Sorry missed the "relative URLs" part but have noticed with some other
    threads that for some you must explain or show what a "relative URL" is!
    On on thread the OP apparently did no know the meaning of the ".." in
    "../some/path"

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 18, 2008
  5. Bergamot

    Seni Seven Guest

    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in alt.html:

    > Bergamot wrote:
    >>
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> The best solution. But if you do not wish to have a local webserver at
    >>> least use relative paths that would work both locally and live online!

    >> ;)
    >>

    > Sorry missed the "relative URLs" part but have noticed with some other
    > threads that for some you must explain or show what a "relative URL" is!
    > On on thread the OP apparently did no know the meaning of the ".." in
    > "../some/path"

    What statement did I ever express to make you believe I know nothing of
    parent directories in relative pathnames?

    In fact, the XHTML document is located on the D drive of the development
    system and the CSS and JS files it uses are on the C drive.

    How do you suppose to make use of parent directories in relative pathnames
    when resources may be located on different logical drives?

    Seni Seven, Dec 18, 2008
  6. Seni Seven wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in alt.html:
    >
    >> Bergamot wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ;)
    >>>

    >> Sorry missed the "relative URLs" part but have noticed with some other
    >> threads that for some you must explain or show what a "relative URL" is!
    >> On on thread the OP apparently did no know the meaning of the ".." in

    ^^
    Fingers slower than brain, should be "other threads"

    >> "../some/path"

    > What statement did I ever express to make you believe I know nothing of
    > parent directories in relative pathnames?

    See not above, typo, dis not mean to imply that *you* do not understand
    relative paths

    > In fact, the XHTML document is located on the D drive of the development
    > system and the CSS and JS files it uses are on the C drive.

    I would say without a local webserver this would be far from an ideal
    development. And Windows does not really do symbolic links like *nix
    OSes and Windows "drive letter|file system" have no analog with web serving.

    I would:

    1) Move a development to same drive so you can use relative paths

    2) Install a web server (Apache will run on Windows just fine)

    3) Dig up old system laying around and install Ubuntu (or whatever
    flavor Linux you wish) and use as a development server on your LAN

    I use and recommend #3

    > How do you suppose to make use of parent directories in relative pathnames
    > when resources may be located on different logical drives?

    You don't. Not on Windows...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan