Re: Why Python style guide (PEP-8) says 4 space indents instead of8 space??? 8 space indents ever ok

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ian Bicking, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Ian Bicking

    Ian Bicking Guest

    On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 02:07 AM, Steve Lamb wrote:
    > On 2003-10-23, Christian Seberino <> wrote:
    >> Each has trade offs.... I don't like breaking last line into 2 pieces
    >> but at least "class", "def", "for" and "if" don't blend into each
    >> other as easily as in the 2nd example.

    > They blend in? How so? 8 spaces is way too far for the eyes, or
    > at least
    > *my* eyes, to skip without causing serious pauses. 2 spaces, while I
    > use it
    > immensely in my Perl days, is where blending occurs. 4 spaces it's
    > pretty
    > clear that the next line down is a separate block while not having to
    > jump
    > partway to Siberia to indicate it.

    Okay, okay, let's just compromise somewhere in between: 5 character
    indents.

    --
    Ian Bicking | | http://blog.ianbicking.org
    Ian Bicking, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Ian Bicking

    John Baxter Guest

    Re: Why Python style guide (PEP-8) says 4 space indents instead of 8 space??? 8 space indents ever ok??

    In article <>,
    Ian Bicking <> wrote:

    > Okay, okay, let's just compromise somewhere in between: 5 character
    > indents.

    No, we should insist on 8-character tabs. They were inherited into Unix
    from Teletype machines with fixed 8 column tabs...how DARE we second
    guess Teletype Corporation?

    Seriously, I'm happy with four space indents (I usually use 2 in the
    interpreter window). And happy with editors which "see" a tab key and
    understand "next four postion using spaces" and which indent
    automatically anyhow.

    --John (who only goes back as far as the Model 18)

    --
    Email to above address discarded by provider's server. Don't bother sending.
    John Baxter, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Re: Why Python style guide (PEP-8) says 4 space indents instead of 8 space??? 8 space indents ever ok??

    Ian Bicking <> writes:

    > Okay, okay, let's just compromise somewhere in between: 5 character
    > indents.

    7.5!

    Cheers,
    mwh

    --
    34. The string is a stark data structure and everywhere it is
    passed there is much duplication of process. It is a perfect
    Michael Hudson, Oct 24, 2003