Re: Why site-packages?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ian Kelly, Jul 4, 2012.

  1. Ian Kelly

    Ian Kelly Guest

    On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Ian Kelly <> wrote:
    > On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Dan Stromberg <> wrote:
    >>> Right now this all seems highly speculative to me. I think it might
    >>> be informative, either to you or to me, to do an actual timing test.
    >>> Why don't you try setting up two side-by-side installations of Python,
    >>> one with all the site-packages cruft, and one trimmed down to only
    >>> what you think should be in there, and see if you can measure a real
    >>> difference in startup time?

    >> In the original stackoverflow thread I mentioned, there's a speed
    >> comparison.

    > That's just comparing using -S against not using -S, though. As I
    > understand it, you don't want to use -S; you still want to import site
    > but just want to pare down your site-packages for a speedup.

    I ran a quick test where I copied my Python 2.5 installation on
    Windows and cleared out the site-packages folder and ran the test from
    the stackoverflow thread.

    With crufty site-packages: 0.18s
    With empty site-packages: 0.16s
    With -S (either installation): 0.10s

    So there does appear to be some improvement, but only a fraction of
    what I get by using -S.

    Ian Kelly, Jul 4, 2012