Re: why this markup don't work in Opera?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ari Heino, May 12, 2009.

  1. Ari Heino

    Ari Heino Guest

    Jeff kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    > This markup isn't rended correctly in Opera, (I haven't tested on FireFox,
    > Netscape etc but the problem might be there too)

    Tried it, works in Opera and FF.

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/

    Ari Heino, May 12, 2009

  2. Ari Heino

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode, <>, the lovely and
    talented Jeff broadcast on alt.html:

    > thanks to both of you, it works now here too... the problem was that the
    > text I used was much longer than this "HERE COMES THE TEXT", and it didn't
    > contain any line breaks... so I added a few <br /> and it started to work

    The right answer to that, of course, is to give the element a width.

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    INCREDIBLE new art blog:

    Lars Eighner, May 12, 2009

  3. Ari Heino

    rf Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > thanks to both of you, it works now here too... the problem was that
    > the text I used was much longer than this "HERE COMES THE TEXT", and
    > it didn't contain any line breaks... so I added a few <br /> and it
    > started to work

    That's why it is best to upload an example of the problem you are having,
    not just to provide a description of some example code that does *not*
    exhibit the problem.

    rf, May 12, 2009
  4. Ari Heino

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Lars Eighner <> wrote:

    > In our last episode, <>, the lovely and
    > talented Jeff broadcast on alt.html:
    >
    > > thanks to both of you, it works now here too... the problem was that the
    > > text I used was much longer than this "HERE COMES THE TEXT", and it didn't
    > > contain any line breaks... so I added a few <br /> and it started to work

    > The right answer to that, of course, is to give the element a width.

    Not if there was enough text to not need to do this or ask the question
    in this usenet group in the first place. Please, Lars, just shoot me.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 12, 2009
  5. Ari Heino

    Gus Richter Guest

    Lars Eighner wrote:
    > In our last episode, <>, the lovely and
    > talented Jeff broadcast on alt.html:
    >
    >> thanks to both of you, it works now here too... the problem was that the
    >> text I used was much longer than this "HERE COMES THE TEXT", and it didn't
    >> contain any line breaks... so I added a few <br /> and it started to work

    > The right answer to that, of course, is to give the element a width.

    No, the correct answer is that the div containing the div should not be
    floated, but allowed to flow to the left of the right floated one.

    The suggestion, elsewhere, that a width should be applied to the text
    div will work in certain instances, but has limitations.

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, May 12, 2009
  6. Ari Heino

    Gus Richter Guest

    Gus Richter wrote:
    > Lars Eighner wrote:
    >> In our last episode, <>, the lovely
    >> and
    >> talented Jeff broadcast on alt.html:
    >>
    >>> thanks to both of you, it works now here too... the problem was that
    >>> the text I used was much longer than this "HERE COMES THE TEXT", and
    >>> it didn't contain any line breaks... so I added a few <br /> and it
    >>> started to work

    >> The right answer to that, of course, is to give the element a width.

    > No, the correct answer is that the div containing the div should not be
    > floated, but allowed to flow to the left of the right floated one.
    >
    > The suggestion, elsewhere, that a width should be applied to the text
    > div will work in certain instances, but has limitations.

    Errata:

    No, the correct answer is that the div containing the _text_ should not

    Gus Richter, May 12, 2009
  7. Ari Heino

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 12 May 2009, Gus Richter <> wrote:

    >> The suggestion, elsewhere, that a width should be applied to the
    >> text div will work in certain instances, but has limitations.

    > Errata:
    >
    > No, the correct answer is that the div containing the _text_ should
    > not be floated, but allowed to flow to the left of the right floated
    > one.

    Agreed, but there was at least a suggestion in the post that the order
    of html divs be maintained and your solution requires a particular
    order.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, May 12, 2009
  8. Ari Heino

    Gus Richter Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > On 12 May 2009, Gus Richter <> wrote:
    >
    >>> The suggestion, elsewhere, that a width should be applied to the
    >>> text div will work in certain instances, but has limitations.

    >> Errata:
    >>
    >> No, the correct answer is that the div containing the _text_ should
    >> not be floated, but allowed to flow to the left of the right floated
    >> one.

    > Agreed, but there was at least a suggestion in the post that the order
    > of html divs be maintained and your solution requires a particular
    > order.

    I reread and reread and find no such suggestion. In any case, the
    "particular order" is already in place and therefore no reordering of
    the markup is required, just simply dropping the float:left; on the
    last div will fix it.

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, May 12, 2009
  9. Ari Heino

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 12 May 2009, Gus Richter <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> Errata:
    >>>
    >>> No, the correct answer is that the div containing the _text_ should
    >>> not be floated, but allowed to flow to the left of the right
    >>> floated one.

    >> Agreed, but there was at least a suggestion in the post that the
    >> order of html divs be maintained and your solution requires a
    >> particular order.

    > I reread and reread and find no such suggestion.

    Well, the OP's ordering of the divs was what I was referring to. Why
    put the right div before the left?

    > In any case, the
    > "particular order" is already in place and therefore no reordering of
    > the markup is required, just simply dropping the float:left; on the
    > last div will fix it.

    Yes, true, but then if you shrink the page horizontally, the "right
    div" will end up "before" the left.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, May 13, 2009
  10. Ari Heino

    Gus Richter Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > On 12 May 2009, Gus Richter <> wrote:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> Agreed, but there was at least a suggestion in the post that the
    >>> order of html divs be maintained and your solution requires a
    >>> particular order.

    >> I reread and reread and find no such suggestion.

    > Well, the OP's ordering of the divs was what I was referring to. Why
    > put the right div before the left?

    Nothing can be inferred by that. If they're both floated, as was the
    OP's case, either can be before the other in the markup.

    >> In any case, the
    >> "particular order" is already in place and therefore no reordering of
    >> the markup is required, just simply dropping the float:left; on the
    >> last div will fix it.

    > Yes, true, but then if you shrink the page horizontally, the "right
    > div" will end up "before" the left.

    Never. The divs will always retain the same order. The text, however, in
    the left div will go below the right div if the space available for the
    text is less than required for the word "HERE".

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, May 14, 2009
  11. Ari Heino

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 13 May 2009, Gus Richter <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> I reread and reread and find no such suggestion.

    >> Well, the OP's ordering of the divs was what I was referring to.
    >> Why put the right div before the left?

    > Nothing can be inferred by that. If they're both floated, as was the
    > OP's case, either can be before the other in the markup.

    Without a difference? That just isn't true.

    >>> In any case, the
    >>> "particular order" is already in place and therefore no reordering
    >>> of the markup is required, just simply dropping the float:left;
    >>> on the last div will fix it.

    >> Yes, true, but then if you shrink the page horizontally, the "right
    >> div" will end up "before" the left.

    > Never. The divs will always retain the same order. The text, however,
    > in the left div will go below the right div if the space available
    > for the text is less than required for the word "HERE".

    That isn't true, either. Part of the text subtends on first overflow.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, May 14, 2009
  12. Ari Heino

    Gus Richter Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > On 13 May 2009, Gus Richter <> wrote:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> Well, the OP's ordering of the divs was what I was referring to.
    >>> Why put the right div before the left?

    >> Nothing can be inferred by that. If they're both floated, as was the
    >> OP's case, either can be before the other in the markup.

    > Without a difference? That just isn't true.

    We're talking about the OP's original example.
    Yes it's true; no difference.
    _Except_ when you shrink the width down enough the last in the markup
    order moves down below the first.

    >>> Yes, true, but then if you shrink the page horizontally, the "right
    >>> div" will end up "before" the left.

    >> Never. The divs will always retain the same order. The text, however,
    >> in the left div will go below the right div if the space available
    >> for the text is less than required for the word "HERE".

    > That isn't true, either. Part of the text subtends on first overflow.

    Yes true. We're talking about the OP's original example with my mod.
    I described for the complete text movement only. You incorrectly believe
    the text movement to the next line(s) to be below the right div. This is
    not so. The text is still to the left of the right div. The first time
    that any of the text moves below the right div is when "COMES" no longer
    fits in the available space.

    Take the OP's example and remove float:left; from the text div and
    give the two divs a border to be able to relate the divs.

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, May 14, 2009