Re: WIDTH attribute for peformatted text

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Blinky the Shark, Oct 1, 2005.

  1. Jud McCranie wrote:
    > On 1 Oct 2005 03:30:38 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Looks like it's deprecated, Jud:

    > OK, then what is the best way to have fixed-width text, with a

    Do you mean fixed-pitch text?

    > parameter telling the width of the line (so the browser can adjust the
    > size to get wide lines all on the screen)?

    <waiting for answer to above question>

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 1, 2005

  2. Blinky the Shark

    Jud McCranie Guest

    On 1 Oct 2005 04:07:03 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Do you mean fixed-pitch text?

    That's right - each character is the same width.
    ---
    Replace you know what by j to email
    Jud McCranie, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Blinky the Shark, Oct 2, 2005
  4. Blinky the Shark

    Jud McCranie Guest

    On 2 Oct 2005 03:02:05 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Pick a fixed-pitch font, then, and style a <div> for width.

    When I set the width in <div>, it wrapped the lines at that width, and
    that isn't allowed.
    ---
    Replace you know what by j to email
    Jud McCranie, Oct 3, 2005
  5. Blinky the Shark

    wrote:

    >Pick a fixed-pitch font, then, and style a <div> for width.

    I'm probably going to have to just do that. I've got my program
    creating the files. Since HTML doesn't seem capable of doing it the
    way I want, I'm going to assume a browser maximized at 1024x768. If
    that doesn't work for the users, then I'll have to make special files
    for them or either include three or four sizes and let them pick the
    one that works for them.
    ---
    Replace you know what by j to email
    Jud McCranie, Oct 3, 2005
  6. Jud McCranie wrote:
    > On 2 Oct 2005 03:02:05 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Pick a fixed-pitch font, then, and style a <div> for width.

    > When I set the width in <div>, it wrapped the lines at that width, and
    > that isn't allowed.

    Sorry, Jud. I don't know a way to make lines not wrap and still adjust
    to the width of a users viewport. Hope you find a solution to this
    quandary.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 3, 2005