RE: Win32 documentation in CHM?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Peters, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. Tim Peters

    Tim Peters Guest

    [Robin Becker]
    > It seems the Gods are proposing to distribute the documentation and
    > help for Python-2.3.1 in .chm form.

    The volunteers who have, and will, build the PythonLabs Windows installers
    (Mark Hammond, me, and now Thomas Heller) unanimously agreed that including
    a .chm file in the 2.3.1 PythonLabs Windows installer would be more useful
    to more people than continuing to ship 8.4MB of HTML docs spread over 1,200+
    files.

    Many forms of the Python docs (including plain HTML) will continue to be
    available for downloading by whoever wants other formats.

    > I particularly detest .chm and much prefer .html as it works across all
    > platforms.

    A .chm file will be included only in the Windows installer; a large pile of
    HTML files will still be available, but won't be included in the Windows
    installer.

    > Additionally by having a single index.html for all of the various bits of
    > Python help I can link in things like Pmw, PIL and Quick uide etc with a
    > simple text editor.
    >
    > The argument is made that .chm is a better mechanism (more searchable
    > indexable etc) for help/documentation than html. Is that really so?
    > HTML is at least an open standard.

    You cannot have used a properly constructed .chm file and seriously question
    whether it's more searchable. Of course it is, including seemingly
    instantaneous Boolean, proximity, wildcard, and similarity searches, across
    the entire doc set with one query. I don't know of any way to search thru
    more than a thousand .html files that's even arguably comparable; e.g., grep
    is a slow & painful joke in comparison.
    Tim Peters, Aug 31, 2003

  2. "Tim Peters" <> writes:

    > You cannot have used a properly constructed .chm file and seriously question
    > whether it's more searchable. Of course it is, including seemingly
    > instantaneous Boolean, proximity, wildcard, and similarity searches, across
    > the entire doc set with one query. I don't know of any way to search thru
    > more than a thousand .html files that's even arguably comparable; e.g., grep
    > is a slow & painful joke in comparison.

    Yeah, you're right, I recently switched from Win to Linux (cause I have to use
    Linux for job stuff) and the only thing that I really miss is something like
    chm compiled documentation. Now i have to use odd things like xCHM or the
    nicely-formatted arCHMage :((

    Mmm if I don't find something more useful i try to code a serious reader
    by my self :)

    --
    Lawrence "Rhymes" Oluyede
    http://loluyede.blogspot.com
    Lawrence Oluyede, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Tim Peters wrote:
    > The volunteers who have, and will, build the PythonLabs Windows installers
    > (Mark Hammond, me, and now Thomas Heller) unanimously agreed that including
    > a .chm file in the 2.3.1 PythonLabs Windows installer would be more useful
    > to more people than continuing to ship 8.4MB of HTML docs spread over 1,200+
    > files.

    Great initiative. Are there any compiled CHM files available for 2.3,
    perhaps from other sources then PythonLabs?

    Regards,

    Iwan
    Iwan van der Kleyn, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Michael Geary, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Iwan van der Kleyn wrote:

    > Great initiative. Are there any compiled CHM files available
    > for 2.3, perhaps from other sources then PythonLabs?

    Slightly off topic but still related to Windows help files :)

    You can also turn HTML files into the older Win32 WinHelp using
    this nice little tool:

    http://www.confluent.fr/javadoc/htmltohlpe.html

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author of: Zeus for Windows (All new version 3.90 out now)
    "The C/C++, Cobol, Java, HTML, Python, PHP, Perl programmer's editor"
    Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com
    Jussi Jumppanen, Sep 1, 2003
  6. Tim Peters

    JanC Guest

    Lawrence Oluyede <> schreef:

    > Yeah, you're right, I recently switched from Win to Linux (cause I
    > have to use Linux for job stuff) and the only thing that I really miss
    > is something like chm compiled documentation.

    The wxWindows/wxPython helpviewer utility uses a subset of the MS HTML
    Workshop format:
    <http://wxwindows.org/manuals/2.4.1/wx21.htm#utilities>
    <http://wxwindows.org/manuals/2.4.1/wx499.htm#helpformat>

    For wxPython-version look in: site-packages/wxPython/tools

    --
    JanC

    JanC, Sep 1, 2003
  7. Tim Peters

    David Rushby Guest

    David Rushby, Sep 1, 2003
  8. Tim Peters

    Stephen Ferg Guest

    > I built a CHM file for Python 2.3 ...
    Got it! Thanks mucho!
    Stephen Ferg, Sep 2, 2003
  9. Michael Geary wrote:
    > Just to help out until something more official shows up, I built a CHM

    file
    > for Python 2.3 which you can get here:
    >
    > http://www.geary.com/Python/

    I just noticed that the CHM file that Tim Peters built is better than the
    one I posted above. (The title shows the correct version number, it has a
    font size button, and it includes "What's New" in the contents.)

    If you downloaded my copy, I recommend that you replace it with Tim's, which
    you can find here:

    http://home.comcast.net/~tim.one/

    I also replaced the old version on my site with a copy of Tim's file, so
    anyone who happens to use the link I posted previously will get the good
    version.

    If you are using Mozilla Firebird and download the file from Tim's site,
    you'll want to right-click on the Python23.chm link and do a Save Link As
    instead of just clicking on the link--which loads the binary .CHM file into
    the browser window!

    (Tim, I fixed that glitch on my site by putting an "AddType
    application/octet-stream chm" line in my .htaccess file--so a regular
    left-click in Mozilla Firebird does the right thing. If Comcast lets you use
    a .htaccess file you could add that too.)

    -Mike
    Michael Geary, Sep 9, 2003