RE: Win32 extensions no go on Win 95

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    | Over the last days I desperately tried to install Python 2.3.4 and the
    | Win32 extensions on a Win 95 box (actually more than 1, but my futile
    | trying was done on just one).

    Entirely non-authoritative answer:

    1) I believe the core Python stuff should install on any Win9x. Haven't
    tried it, but I don't recall any complaints that you couldn't. (Although
    how many people would have tried?)

    2) I seem to remebmerthat Mark Hammond (author of pywin32) stated a little
    while back that he could no longer sustain compatibility
    for Win95. Should be possible to install / build older pywin32
    versions from Mark's Python homepage:
    http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html

    TJG

    http://www.star.net.uk

    Tim Golden, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Tim Golden <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > 1) I believe the core Python stuff should install on any Win9x.

    Yes, core Python runs well.

    > 2) I seem to remebmerthat Mark Hammond (author of pywin32) stated a little
    > while back that he could no longer sustain compatibility
    > for Win95.

    This is news to me. Bad news.

    > Should be possible to install / build older pywin32
    > versions from Mark's Python homepage:
    > http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html

    That would be my last-straw option: Use an old version of
    Python/win32all and backport my program. Not something I'm very fond
    of.
    Right now I'm trying to compile pywin32-202 myself, leaving out all
    the stuff Win95 doesn't know of. This proves to be a thoroughly
    frustrating experience however, since I don't know anything about
    Windows programming. (I wrote a few DOS command line tools, and even
    these I cross-compiled on a Linux machine.)

    Yesterday I also tried ActivePython, with the exact same results. No
    good week for me.

    Hans-Joachim Widmaier

    Hans-Joachim Widmaier, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Tim Golden

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Hans-Joachim Widmaier wrote:

    > Tim Golden <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >>2) I seem to remebmerthat Mark Hammond (author of pywin32) stated a little
    >> while back that he could no longer sustain compatibility
    >> for Win95.

    > This is news to me. Bad news.

    Perhaps Mark would be more than happy to sustain compatibility
    for a while if someone was paying for the work...

    (But why would anyone need to stick with Win95 at this point?)

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Tim Golden <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > 1) I believe the core Python stuff should install on any Win9x.

    Yes, core Python runs well.

    > 2) I seem to remebmerthat Mark Hammond (author of pywin32) stated a little
    > while back that he could no longer sustain compatibility
    > for Win95.

    This is news to me. Bad news.

    Hans-Joachim Widmaier, Jul 9, 2004
  5. Tim Golden

    David Fraser Guest

    Hans-Joachim Widmaier wrote:
    > Tim Golden <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >

    >>1) I believe the core Python stuff should install on any Win9x.

    > Yes, core Python runs well.
    >

    >>2) I seem to remebmerthat Mark Hammond (author of pywin32) stated a little
    >> while back that he could no longer sustain compatibility
    >> for Win95.

    > This is news to me. Bad news.
    >

    >> Should be possible to install / build older pywin32
    >> versions from Mark's Python homepage:
    >> http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html

    > That would be my last-straw option: Use an old version of
    > Python/win32all and backport my program. Not something I'm very fond
    > of.

    Surely you don't need a much older version of Python? Just an older
    version of win32all. That shouldn't require much backporting. It may be
    easier to forward-port an old win32all to a new Python than to backport
    your program

    David

    David Fraser, Jul 9, 2004