Re: windows question: default click action points to wrong pythonversion

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gelonida N, Nov 21, 2012.

  1. Gelonida N

    Gelonida N Guest

    Hi Tim,

    Thanks a lot for your answer.

    On 11/21/2012 10:34 AM, Tim Golden wrote:
    > On 21/11/2012 08:23, Gelonida N wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I installed python 2.6 and python 2.7 on a windows 7 machine.
    >>
    >> At the moment Python 2.7 is the interpreter being used if I 'start' a
    >> python script without explicit interpreter.
    >>
    >> I always thought, that 'repairing' Python 2.6 (reinstalling it) would
    >> set the default settings back to Python 2.6.
    >>
    >> I also see with assoc / ftypes, that python 2.6. has now been configured
    >> as default.
    >>
    >> However when I click on a script it is still started with 2.7.
    >> (even after a full restart of the machine)
    >>
    >> This is really surprising to me.
    >> I thought ftype is the command to change file associations.

    > This area is a bit messy. There is a difference between: going to the
    > command line and typing "myscript.py"; and double-clicking on a file in
    > Explorer.
    >
    > The former uses the result of merging the assoc/ftype registry keys:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Python.File\shell\open\command
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Python.File\shell\open\command
    >

    > while the latter uses the Explorer registry keys at:
    >

    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.py\UserChoice

    > Initially, I suppose, the two are in sync. But presumably they can get
    > out of sync, especially if you move backwards and forwards between
    > associations. I haven't bothered fishing around in the Shell API but I
    > presume that you can reconcile the two -- or just edit the registry,
    > obviously.

    Hmm I don't mind changing the registry, now that I know the culprit.
    Will try it tomorrow when being back to my Win PC.

    Gelonida N, Nov 21, 2012