Re: Windows Update Break ASP.NET 1.0 on WinXP Pro

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andrew, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for posting something.

    This should already be posted on the home page of MSDN , www.asp.net and/or
    other places that it can easily be found by ALL asp.net users.

    Not everyone (by far ) comes to these newsgroups, and those who don't are
    likely to have any idea of where to begin.

    Is it possible that escalating the processModel to SYSTEM is a fix that is
    worse than the problems created by the patch?

    -Andrew

    "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > If you are running ASP.NET 1.0 on Windows XP Professional and you install
    > the latest critical updates from Windows Update (specifically the 822925
    > cumulative IE patch), ASP.NET will no longer function.
    >
    > Symptom:
    > "Server Application Unavailable" when browsing to ASP.NET applications.
    >
    > We are currently researching this issue and I will post information here

    as

    Andrew, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Re:TYPOS .... Windows Update Break ASP.NET 1.0 on WinXP Pro

    LOL

    ....are not likely to have ...
    ....cured by the patch.

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Jim,
    > Thanks for posting something.
    >
    > This should already be posted on the home page of MSDN , www.asp.net

    and/or
    > other places that it can easily be found by ALL asp.net users.
    >
    > Not everyone (by far ) comes to these newsgroups, and those who don't are

    NOT

    Andrew, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Andrew

    Jim Cheshire Guest

    Andrew,

    Right now, we're still in the stages of determining how to get the fix out
    and collecting information. All of our efforts are going towards that
    direction right now so that we can get people back up and running as soon as
    possible. We are not putting any bandwidth towards updating the MSDN Web
    site. Doing so takes more work than you might realize, and that's not the
    best use of our time right now.

    While elevating the ASP.NET process to the SYSTEM account is certainly not
    an acceptible workaround in a production environment, this issue is limited
    to Windows XP Professional. Since ASP.NET doesn't work at all without
    elevating the processModel, I wouldn't consider it as causing worse problems
    than those created by the patch.

    Hopefully you'll see some additional information posted very soon. We have
    made tremendous headway in this issue.

    --
    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

    Jim Cheshire, Aug 22, 2003
  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    doh! I think I once saw a description of the process of putting content on
    MSDN...not a trivial one.

    When I first spotted the problem on XP Pro, I thought it was the project (my
    "experiments" project) , so I recreated the project on my VMWare which runs
    Win2K Server.
    The VMWare is hosted by my XP Pro
    At that moment, I got the same error on 2ks (I no longer get the error)
    adding to the "project error" conclusion.
    I then used VS.Net to create a new project "ServerGoneProblem" and had the
    problem again.
    The actual project I'm working on (in the 2ks VM) was still working fine, so
    I went back to working

    This didn't jive with the XP Pro only, so I re-checked this morning and
    everything is working normally on the 2ks (VM Ware)

    :)
    -Andrew

    Andrew, Aug 22, 2003