Re: Windows Update Break ASP.NET 1.0 on WinXP Pro

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jason \(MFT1\), Aug 23, 2003.

  1. What should those of us do who "fixed" the problem by changing the setting
    in the machine.config to system?

    Should we change it back to machine and then run the batch file called for
    in the article?

    "Jim Cheshire" <> wrote in message
    > There is now a fix for this issue in the following KB article:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827641
    >
    > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    > ASP.NET
    >

    > "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > > If you are running ASP.NET 1.0 on Windows XP Professional and you

    install
    > > the latest critical updates from Windows Update (specifically the 822925
    > > cumulative IE patch), ASP.NET will no longer function.
    > >
    > > Symptom:
    > > "Server Application Unavailable" when browsing to ASP.NET applications.
    > >
    > > We are currently researching this issue and I will post information here

    > as
    > > soon as it is available. In the interim, you can set the userName
    > > attribute in your machine.config's <processModel> element to "SYSTEM"

    and
    > > then restart IIS. Note that running the ASP.NET process under the

    SYSTEM

    Jason \(MFT1\), Aug 23, 2003

  2. Jason \(MFT1\)

    Jim Cheshire Guest

    Jason,

    Yes. Absolutely you should change your machine.config file so that ASP.NET
    is running as "machine". After you do that, you'll need to restart IIS so
    that the process restarts under the new identity.

    Jim

    Jim Cheshire, Aug 23, 2003