Re: Wish to learn HTML

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Helpful person, Nov 15, 2010.

  1. On Nov 15, 9:22 am, Frederick Williams <>
    wrote:
    > I wish to learn HTML and would welcome suggestions of books to read, and
    > editors and browsers to employ.
    >
    > TIA

    I'm a beginner and fairly recently started learning HTML / CSS. The
    book I would recommend is:
    "Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML"
    It is a bit verbose for my liking but is excellent for getting you
    going.

    Another resource that can be used for a quick lookup reference is
    www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp . I know a lot of people on this
    web site don't like it but I found it an excellent reference. Just
    don't taker it as gospel. (Not that the gospels are necessarily
    correct.)

    Once you start to get proficient the absolute standard is www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/

    These references, along with wonderful help from people on this users
    group, got me going nicely.

    Just one small bit of advice. It's well worth the effort to try and
    use good programing practices from the beginning. It will take longer
    to get going but will pay off in the long run.

    www.richardfisher.com

    Helpful person, Nov 15, 2010

  2. Helpful person wrote:

    > Another resource that can be used for a quick lookup reference is
    > www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

    Too many errors to be worthy.

    > I know a lot of people on this web site

    This is a Usenet newsgroup, not a web site. If you'd set up a newsreader
    instead of using Google Groups, more people would see your posts as many
    filter everything from GG due to all the spam. ^1

    > don't like it but I found it an excellent reference.

    Maybe occasionally.

    ^1. I just happened to see your post because I looked at "show unread in
    thread-view."

    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 15, 2010