Re: WORA high performance

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tom Anderson, May 30, 2008.

  1. Tom Anderson

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2008, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:

    > We've discussed several times how Java isn't really well suited to
    > scientific computing for various reasons. I was wondering if there is a
    > write once run anywhere language that is suited to scientific computing.

    How portable is properly-written Fortran 90?

    Oh god, i've just discovered there's a Fortran 2003. It's got object
    orientation.

    tom

    --
    Oh, well of course *everything* looks bad if you remember it
    Tom Anderson, May 30, 2008

  2. Tom Anderson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Tom Anderson wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 May 2008, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
    >> We've discussed several times how Java isn't really well suited to
    >> scientific computing for various reasons. I was wondering if there is
    >> a write once run anywhere language that is suited to scientific
    >> computing.

    > How portable is properly-written Fortran 90?
    >
    > Oh god, i've just discovered there's a Fortran 2003. It's got object
    > orientation.

    Fortran is not WORA, because you will need to recompile
    and there most certainly are compiler specific extensions.

    But the typical scientific computing program is probably
    very portable. Because number crunching is not really
    platform specific and that type of programs rarely
    accesses database, do GUI, wants to start default
    browser, want to access registry, want to map global
    memory and all that stuff that often makes porting
    hard.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 31, 2008

  3. Tom Anderson

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2008, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    > Tom Anderson wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 May 2008, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
    >>> We've discussed several times how Java isn't really well suited to
    >>> scientific computing for various reasons. I was wondering if there is a
    >>> write once run anywhere language that is suited to scientific computing.

    >> How portable is properly-written Fortran 90?
    >>
    >> Oh god, i've just discovered there's a Fortran 2003. It's got object
    >> orientation.

    > Fortran is not WORA, because you will need to recompile

    Oh yes, forgot about that!

    > and there most certainly are compiler specific extensions.

    Nobody's forcing you to use them, though. If you stick to
    standard-compliant F90, i think you'll be pretty portable. ISTR that
    fortran wraps IO enough that you can even forget about endianness, BICBW.

    > But the typical scientific computing program is probably very portable.
    > Because number crunching is not really platform specific and that type
    > of programs rarely accesses database, do GUI, wants to start default
    > browser, want to access registry, want to map global memory and all that
    > stuff that often makes porting hard.

    True.

    tom

    --