Re: Would you support adding UNC support to os.path on Windows?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Aahz, Apr 22, 2009.

  1. Aahz

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Larry Hastings <> wrote:

    >I've written a patch for Python 3.1 that changes os.path so it handles
    >UNC paths on Windows. You can read about it at the Python bug tracker:
    >
    > http://bugs.python.org/issue5799
    >
    >I'd like to gauge community interest in the patch. After all, it's has
    >been declined before; I submitted a similar patch for 1.5.2 way back in
    >1999. (You can read the details of that on the tracker page too.)

    You should bring this up on python-dev.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    until you hire an amateur." --Red Adair

    Aahz, Apr 22, 2009

  2. Aahz

    Mark Hammond Guest

    Aahz wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Larry Hastings <> wrote:
    >> I've written a patch for Python 3.1 that changes os.path so it handles
    >> UNC paths on Windows. You can read about it at the Python bug tracker:
    >>
    >> http://bugs.python.org/issue5799
    >>
    >> I'd like to gauge community interest in the patch. After all, it's has
    >> been declined before; I submitted a similar patch for 1.5.2 way back in
    >> 1999. (You can read the details of that on the tracker page too.)

    > You should bring this up on python-dev.

    In Larry's defense, I suggested he bring it here first to try and find
    some common noise from the people with the most experience actually
    using these functions - ie, those people here. My hope was that some
    vague consensus here would offer more ammunition when finally taking it
    to python-dev for consideration (or kill it without taking it there -
    but it's looking good :)

    Cheers,

    Mark

    Mark Hammond, Apr 22, 2009