    really discuss/ask that hasn't been before. Isn't it amazing how lazy we
    are, that we won't search the archives or FAQs before asking the tired,
    old question that has been asked so many times before?

    Jon, Oct 14, 2010

  2. In article <i95tpm$s4f$-september.org>,
    Jon <> wrote:
    >Barry G wrote:
    >> Nothing about C.

    >Use the archives. As C is a mature language, there's not much new to
    >really discuss/ask that hasn't been before. Isn't it amazing how lazy we
    >are, that we won't search the archives or FAQs before asking the tired,
    >old question that has been asked so many times before?

    By the way, how exactly do you prototype main()?

    And, now, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that one should always
    cast the return value of malloc(). Do I win the prize?

    And, finally, what is the result of i=i++ ?

    --
    Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is
    no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.

    - John Kenneth Galbraith -

    Kenny McCormack, Oct 14, 2010

  3. Jon

    Alan Curry Guest

    Jon <> wrote:
    >Barry G wrote:
    >> Nothing about C.

    >Use the archives. As C is a mature language, there's not much new to
    >really discuss/ask that hasn't been before. Isn't it amazing how lazy we
    >are, that we won't search the archives or FAQs before asking the tired,
    >old question that has been asked so many times before?

    Or... as I remember reading on the back of a pamphlet one time:

    "C is not a big language, and it is not served well by a big newsgroup."

    --
    Alan Curry

    Alan Curry, Oct 14, 2010
  4. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Kenny McCormack wrote:
    > In article <i95tpm$s4f$-september.org>,
    > Jon <> wrote:
    >> Barry G wrote:
    >>> Nothing about C.

    >> Use the archives. As C is a mature language, there's not much new to
    >> really discuss/ask that hasn't been before. Isn't it amazing how
    >> lazy we are, that we won't search the archives or FAQs before asking
    >> the tired, old question that has been asked so many times before?
    >>

    > By the way, how exactly do you prototype main()?

    It's not important, but rather, an implementation detail that will surely
    cause the collapse of nothing important such as the stock market.

    > And, now, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that one should
    > always cast the return value of malloc().

    Never ever do that! (If you have to worry about that, you're a beginner
    and have to go back to square one and reinvent memory allocation).

    > Do I win the prize?

    Nope, you didn't suck me into your trolling.

    > And, finally, what is the result of i=i++ ?

    It's undefined.

    Jon, Oct 14, 2010
  5. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Alan Curry wrote:
    > In article <i95tpm$s4f$-september.org>,
    > Jon <> wrote:
    >> Barry G wrote:
    >>> Nothing about C.

    >> Use the archives. As C is a mature language, there's not much new to
    >> really discuss/ask that hasn't been before. Isn't it amazing how
    >> lazy we are, that we won't search the archives or FAQs before asking
    >> the tired, old question that has been asked so many times before?

    > Or... as I remember reading on the back of a pamphlet one time:
    >
    > "C is not a big language, and it is not served well by a big
    > newsgroup."

    (I'm bored or burnt-out, as I am replying to posts like a
    rock-"guitarist" masturbates his 6-string solid-body.)

    C is not a viable language and hasn't been for many years for much work.
    It is severely defficient at the most fundamental level. While that is
    not to say that it is useless, it *is* to say that it is of *limited* or
    *specialized* usefulness and is not a stepping-stone and to characterize
    it otherwise is to sell snake oil.

    Jon, Oct 14, 2010
  6. In article <i965h2$fnm$-september.org>,
    Jon <> wrote:
    >Nope, you didn't suck me into your trolling.

    Sure looks to me like I succeeded completely.

    You gave "serious" answers to my silly questions, completely missing the
    point...

    by the wise as false,
    and by the rulers as useful.

    (Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

    Kenny McCormack, Oct 14, 2010
  7. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Kenny McCormack wrote:
    > In article <i965h2$fnm$-september.org>,
    > Jon <> wrote:
    >> Nope, you didn't suck me into your trolling.

    > Sure looks to me like I succeeded completely.
    >
    > You gave "serious" answers to my silly questions, completely missing
    > the point...

    This tangent thread is all yours then. Do explain your "point" for all
    posterity.

    Jon, Oct 14, 2010
  8. In article <i966bc$ko7$-september.org>,
    Jon <> wrote:
    >Kenny McCormack wrote:
    >> In article <i965h2$fnm$-september.org>,
    >> Jon <> wrote:
    >>> Nope, you didn't suck me into your trolling.

    >> Sure looks to me like I succeeded completely.
    >>
    >> You gave "serious" answers to my silly questions, completely missing
    >> the point...

    >This tangent thread is all yours then. Do explain your "point" for all
    >posterity.

    I think the other poster made my point for me. Thank you, other poster.

    --
    But the Bush apologists hope that you won't remember all that. And they
    also have a theory, which I've been hearing more and more - namely,

    (Paul Krugman - Addicted to Bush)

    Kenny McCormack, Oct 14, 2010