Re: Wrapping or converting Perl module?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Hancock, Nov 4, 2004.

  1. Okay, let's try rephrasing the question more concisely . . . ;-)

    Are there any packages to help

    1) Wrap a perl module the way you would a C module
    (does this ever make sense to do?)

    2) Automatically or Semi-automatically translate
    a perl module/package/etc into a Python module?

    3) Is there at least a guide somewhere to mapping
    Perl OOP idioms to Python counterparts?

    4) Or would I be better off just looking at the SQL
    code and re-writing logic entirely?

    I'm starting to be resigned to doing #4, but I didn't
    want to if there's an easier way.

    Cheers,
    Terry

    Terry Hancock, Nov 4, 2004

  2. Terry Hancock wrote:

    > 1) Wrap a perl module the way you would a C module
    > (does this ever make sense to do?)

    no

    > 2) Automatically or Semi-automatically translate
    > a perl module/package/etc into a Python module?

    no

    > 3) Is there at least a guide somewhere to mapping
    > Perl OOP idioms to Python counterparts?

    http://pleac.sourceforge.net/

    http://www.python.org/moin/PerlPhrasebook

    Istvan.

    Istvan Albert, Nov 5, 2004

  3. On Friday 05 November 2004 10:17 pm, Stelios Xanthakis wrote:
    > Terry Hancock wrote:
    > > 1) Wrap a perl module the way you would a C module
    > > (does this ever make sense to do?)

    > I don't know if it helps but do you know the "pyperl" module.
    > It's rather interesting.

    No I didn't. I'm surprised I didn't find it when googling
    for a solution, but voila, typing "pyperl" gets some interesting
    links.

    I still have some trepidation about introducing a Perl
    dependency into my code, but this is indeed what I was
    looking for.

    Cheers,
    Terry

    Terry Hancock, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Terry Hancock wrote:

    > 1) Wrap a perl module the way you would a C module
    > (does this ever make sense to do?)

    I don't know if it helps but do you know the "pyperl" module.
    It's rather interesting.

    BTW, I hope pyperl becomes a standard python module.
    All in all. Perl is great for Practical Extraction and Report.

    Stelios

    Stelios Xanthakis, Nov 6, 2004

    Stelios Xanthakis, Nov 6, 2004