Re: Write Chinese in Wordpad

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 24, 2005.

  1. "Geoff" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Which font can I choose to write in Chinese in Wordpad?
    > >

    > Arial Unicode MS or PMingLiU for starters....

    Thank you.

    Did I do something wrong?
    I tested 2 pages which contain both Chinese and Swedish
    and I tried to choose Unicode

    <head>
    content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
    <META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="1 DAY">
    <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Lägenheten för fritidsändamål i Rom">
    <META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="Scaiecat Spa Gigi">
    The pages display also Chinese character but when I open the file they
    change into unreadable ones.

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    (sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 24, 2005

    > "Geoff" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > > Which font can I choose to write in Chinese in Wordpad?
    > > >

    > > Arial Unicode MS or PMingLiU for starters....

    > Thank you.

    I found a code called
    MS Hei.
    I have this problem while using Windows 98.
    Perhaps I would not have it while usinig WinXP and a FTP client which
    support WinXP but I want to see if I can edit in Chinese even using Win98

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 24, 2005

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > I found a code called
    > MS Hei.
    > I have this problem while using Windows 98.
    > Perhaps I would not have it while usinig WinXP and a FTP client which
    > support WinXP but I want to see if I can edit in Chinese even using Win98

    Listen very carefully:

    YOU CAN NOT EDIT IN CHINESE USING YOUR WIN98!

    You would have had to either install the Microsoft Layer for Unicode or you
    would have had to install a Chinese version of Windows 98. I Know this. I
    used to install both traditional and simplified Chinese versions of Windows
    98.

    Hou can *NOT* edit Chinese on the version of windows 98 that you have.

    Can I make it any clearer than that ?

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 24, 2005
  4. "rf" <@invalid.com> wrote:

    > YOU CAN NOT EDIT IN CHINESE USING YOUR WIN98!

    As by the constitution of Usenet, shouting (writing all-uppercase) means
    you are wrong _and_ you have lost your temper _and_ you are in a write-only
    mode, i.e. immune to attempts to enlighten you. So this isn't for you but
    to other readers of the alt.html group (and perhaps sci.lang.translation,
    where the question did not belong).

    You can write an HTML document in any language of the world, irrespectively
    of your operating system, keyboard, etc. As the ultimate method, you can
    write any character using character references, which need just a few
    characters ("&", "#", digits "0" through "9", and ";", though basic Latin
    letters "A" to "F" and "X" and/or their lowercase equivalents would make
    things somewhat easier).

    The _convenience_ of writing depends on many things, including the
    authoring software. You can install and use a so-called Unicode editor,
    such as e.g. SC UniPad or BabelPad, even on Windows 98. They let you write
    even plain text in any language and in any script.

    Followups trimmed.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 25, 2005
  5. "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > Did I do something wrong?

    Yes. You pointlessly crossposted, to begin with. Followups now trimmed.

    Moreover, you failed to provide a URL of your attempt. You just have to
    believe that I know it is needed for an analysis what you tried and why it
    failed. I'm not going to give a lecture on character encoding on the Web
    (you can have a free lecture on that by reading the HTML specification,
    though it's a bit dusty, dry, and even a little misleading).

    You are using an inccorrect language code: "cn" is currently unassigned,
    hence an error. The language code for Chinese is "zh" (whereas "CN" is the
    country code for China). Don't use language codes before you understand
    them. They are not needed for any basic functionality, but using _wrong_
    codes can cause problems.

    (When you understand the codes, you probably wish to use either "zh-Hans"
    or "zh-Hant" for your pages or elements in Chinese, instead of the generic
    "zh".)

    > content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />

    Why do you use XML syntax in a document that you declare as HTML 4.01?
    Did you actually _utilize_ the DOCTYPE by trying to validate the page?

    > <META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="1 DAY">

    Pointless, if not harmful. No indexing robot is going to visit your page
    every day just because you use such a meta tag.

    > <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Lägenheten för fritidsändamål i
    > Rom">

    Rather pointless too, and potentially harmful if the page mainly contains
    Chinese. Google &Co. guess the language from the content, and initial
    content (even in meta tags) _might_ matter more than the rest. If search
    engines actually use the description in their hit lists, as they sometimes
    do, the description won't be very adequate - it looks like an advertisement
    more than a description of a page.

    > The pages display also Chinese character but when I open the file they
    > change into unreadable ones.

    Huh? This sounds like you tried to open a document containing Chinese
    characters in a program that cannot use a font that has such characters.
    Of course, it could be any other mess as well.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 25, 2005
  6. "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > I found a code called
    > > MS Hei.
    > > I have this problem while using Windows 98.
    > > Perhaps I would not have it while usinig WinXP and a FTP client which
    > > support WinXP but I want to see if I can edit in Chinese even using

    Win98

    > Listen very carefully:
    >
    > YOU CAN NOT EDIT IN CHINESE USING YOUR WIN98!

    It is already displayed on the page.

    > You would have had to either install the Microsoft Layer for Unicode or

    you
    > would have had to install a Chinese version of Windows 98.

    I suppose I have done both because I saw that Chinese was displayed on my
    website
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php
    If you do not see the Chinese characters may-be that you did not load
    Unicode.

    --
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 25, 2005
  7. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Did I do something wrong?

    > Yes. You pointlessly crossposted, to begin with. Followups now trimmed.

    There may be people who know Chinese in the other NG I posted to.
    For this reason they can be informed on this subject.

    > Moreover, you failed to provide a URL of your attempt.

    Ok.
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php

    Given that you wrote that I should choose "zh" perhaps I should create a
    directory called zh, instead.

    You just have to
    > believe that I know it is needed for an analysis what you tried and why it
    > failed. I'm not going to give a lecture on character encoding on the Web
    > (you can have a free lecture on that by reading the HTML specification,
    > though it's a bit dusty, dry, and even a little misleading).

    > You are using an inccorrect language code: "cn" is currently unassigned,
    > hence an error. The language code for Chinese is "zh" (whereas "CN" is the
    > country code for China). Don't use language codes before you understand
    > them. They are not needed for any basic functionality, but using _wrong_
    > codes can cause problems.

    To try to do one thing is the best way to learn how to do it.

    > (When you understand the codes, you probably wish to use either "zh-Hans"
    > or "zh-Hant" for your pages or elements in Chinese, instead of the generic
    > "zh".)

    > > content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />

    > Why do you use XML syntax in a document that you declare as HTML 4.01?
    > Did you actually _utilize_ the DOCTYPE by trying to validate the page?

    I guess that this code was written by someone else in this thread or another
    thread during the last days.
    Which code would be the right one then?

    > > <META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="1 DAY">

    > Pointless, if not harmful. No indexing robot is going to visit your page
    > every day just because you use such a meta tag.

    Fine.

    > > <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Lägenheten för fritidsändamål i
    > > Rom">

    This is temporary there.

    > Rather pointless too, and potentially harmful if the page mainly contains
    > Chinese. Google &Co. guess the language from the content, and initial
    > content (even in meta tags) _might_ matter more than the rest. If search
    > engines actually use the description in their hit lists, as they sometimes
    > do, the description won't be very adequate - it looks like an

    > more than a description of a page.
    >
    > > The pages display also Chinese character but when I open the file they
    > > change into unreadable ones.

    > Huh? This sounds like you tried to open a document containing Chinese
    > characters in a program that cannot use a font that has such characters.
    > Of course, it could be any other mess as well.

    I am not sure I understand what you meant here.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 25, 2005
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote

    > > You would have had to either install the Microsoft Layer for Unicode or

    > you
    > > would have had to install a Chinese version of Windows 98.

    > I suppose I have done both because I saw that Chinese was displayed on my
    > website

    What has a web page got to do with "write chinese in wordpad", the subject
    of this thread?

    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php
    > If you do not see the Chinese characters may-be that you did not load
    > Unicode.

    Are you being intentionally thick? I suggest you go somewhere and learn how
    computers actually work. I give up on you, again.
    rf, Sep 26, 2005
  9. "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote

    [cut]
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php
    > > If you do not see the Chinese characters may-be that you did not load
    > > Unicode.

    > Are you being intentionally thick? I suggest you go somewhere and learn

    how
    > computers actually work. I give up on you, again.

    I suggest that you do not answer my posts if you do not want to give a
    constructive answer.
    I can see the Chinese characters on the page
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php
    as well as I can see them on
    www.baidu.com
    for example.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 26, 2005
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > I suggest that you do not answer my posts if you do not want to give a
    > constructive answer.

    OK. Here is a constructive answer.

    > I can see the Chinese characters on the page
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php

    Fine. I can't but that is immaterial.

    > as well as I can see them on
    > www.baidu.com
    > for example.

    Fine, but this is also immaterial.

    Your original question relates to, and the subject of this thread is, "Write
    Chinese in Wordpad".

    Earlier in the thread you state:

    <quote>
    The pages display also Chinese character [in your browser] but when I open
    the file [presumably using wordpad] they
    change into unreadable ones.
    </quote>

    So, you can see the Chinese characters using your browser but when you edit
    the file using wordpad they change to unreadable ones. Right?

    That is because you are using windows 98. You state this here:

    <quote>
    I have this problem while using Windows 98.
    Perhaps I would not have it while usinig WinXP and a FTP client which
    support WinXP but I want to see if I can edit in Chinese even using Win98
    </quote>

    There is the question. You want to see if you can edit in Chinese even using
    windows 98.

    You will *not* be able to edit Chinese text using wordpad under your windows
    98. Windows 98 does not support unicode and windows 98 does not support
    Chinese unless you have installed a Chinese version of windows 98, which you
    have not.

    You *may* be able to use your browser to view a page that contains Chinese
    text but that is immaterial to the subject of this thread.

    You *will* be able to edit Chinese text using the wordpad that comes with
    XP, providing you have installed the far east asian language pack. Even then
    you will only be able to use wordpad to save as unicode. Wordpad does not
    support UTF-8. Notepad, however, supports unicode, unicode big endian and
    UTF-8.

    I hope this helps and I apologise for getting cranky at you earlier :)

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 26, 2005
  11. "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Earlier in the thread you state:

    [cut]
    > <quote>
    > The pages display also Chinese character [in your browser] but when I open
    > the file [presumably using wordpad] they
    > change into unreadable ones.
    > </quote>

    [cut]
    <quote>
    > So, you can see the Chinese characters using your browser but when you

    edit
    > the file using wordpad they change to unreadable ones. Right?

    </quote>

    The Chinese characters are edited but they do not seem to be always visible
    in the
    code in Wordpad.
    Just now they are!
    But the fonts show me as option Chinese_GB2312
    and not Unicode, although I used UTF-8 as charset.
    While saving the file I get the option Unicode but after trying to save the
    file I
    get a warning in Swedish that if I should save it as text format, the
    formating would not be likely to be saved.
    [cut]

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 26, 2005

    > "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > The Chinese characters are edited but they do not seem to be always

    visible
    > in the
    > code in Wordpad.
    > Just now they are!

    They are displayed on the browser as well.
    However, the title cannot be displayed using Chinese characters.
    Also, I noticed that www.baidu.com does not use Unicode as charset.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 26, 2005