Re: Writing solid code book

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jeremy Dillworth, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. It does use C for its examples, but I think many of the
    principles would still apply to Python.

    Some, like "crashing early" happen as a side-effect of
    using Python. Python's exceptions accomplish this nicely.
    Crashing in the face of absurd circumstances rather than
    trying to recover or ignore them. I wish Perl had this,
    I once had a Perl script eat a few hundred files I was
    trying to have it rewrite. A server had run out of disk
    space, and since I didn't say "close FILE or die", the
    close silently failed to write the file...
    a few hundred times.

    The author *is* an ex-MS guy. There are commments in the
    book to the effect that the practices therein represent the
    ideal at Microsoft, not the reality.

    Good book.

    Jeremy Dillworth, Sep 3, 2003