Re: wxTimer problem

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jp Calderone, May 13, 2005.

  1. Jp Calderone

    Jp Calderone Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 14:57:26 +0800, Austin <> wrote:
    >I wrote a GUI program on windows. (python & wxPython)
    >One function is to refresh the data from the COM Object continously.
    >In the beginning, I used the thread.start_new_thread(xxx,())
    >But no matter how i try, it will cause the win32com error.
    >
    >After that, i use the wx.Timer to do the refresh function.
    >It works fine, but i find one problem.
    >I think timer should be independant, just like thread, but wxTimer doesn't.
    >
    >1. Does python have timer function( not included by thread)?
    >2. About the wxTimer, does any parameter to let it be independent?

    What does "independent" mean?

    Jp
    Jp Calderone, May 13, 2005

  2. Jp Calderone

    F. GEIGER Guest

    As Jp asked already: "indepenedent" from what?

    I do such things all the time in a wx-App that controls a 6-axes robot. For
    example, there I have a LED-Widget for displaying the actual pos. and
    orient. of the tool. In a wxTimer handler I read OPC variables, whose values
    are displayed in the LED-Widgets (the 6 LED-widgets make up a compound
    widget that does the data retreival in a wxTimer handler). My app is full
    of widgets that own a timer to display current values.

    As for "independent": If you wrote a GUI app in wx you'll want to display
    those values coming from some COM objects. So simply tie a timer to the
    widget that should display it and - do it. Or tie it to the frame containing
    your widget. It's up to you - plenty of possibilities in wx/Python, and
    total freedom (I know what I'm speakin' of, I started that app in VB...).

    Kind regards
    Franz GEIGER

    F. GEIGER, May 14, 2005