Re: xhtml and frames

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Steve Pugh, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Steve Pugh

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "mark | r" <> wrote:

    >i thought xhtml didnt support target= ? so how can there be xhtml compatible
    >framesets?

    XHTML 1.0 supports everything (with minor tweaks) that HTML 4.01
    supports, including frames. There are Strict, Transitional and
    Frameset versions of XHTML 1.0 just as there of HTML 4.01.

    The target attribute exists in the Transitional versions, but not in
    the Strict version.

    So this has nothing at all to do with HTML vs XHTML and everything to
    do with Strict vs Transitional.

    It goes without saying that frames have all the same problems when
    coded in XHTML that they have when coded in HTML.

    XHTML 1.1 does not have anything connected with frames.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Steve Pugh

    mark | r Guest

    my mistake, im talking about xhtml accessible sites and frames...

    stuff like bobby doesnt like target
    mark | r, Aug 6, 2003

  3. mark | r wrote:

    > my mistake, im talking about xhtml accessible sites and frames...

    In this case XHTML is irrelevent, its the accessible part.

    > stuff like bobby doesnt like target

    It wouldn't do - target means either frames or new windows, both of which
    are accessibility hazards.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/

    --
    David Dorward http://david.us-lot.org/
    David Dorward, Aug 6, 2003
  4. Steve Pugh

    mark | r Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "mark | r" <> wrote:
    >
    > >my mistake, im talking about xhtml accessible sites and frames...

    > There's nothing about XHTML that automatically makes it more
    > accessible than HTML.
    >
    > >stuff like bobby doesnt like target

    > Booby is just a tool (and not brilliant one at that), the key to using
    > it is understanding why it doesn't like target, which means
    > understanding why target is bad for accessibility.

    i beg to differ - xhtml allows you to have complex layout and content that
    stays formatted logically
    mark | r, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Steve Pugh

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "mark | r" <> wrote:
    >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    >> "mark | r" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >my mistake, im talking about xhtml accessible sites and frames...

    >> There's nothing about XHTML that automatically makes it more
    >> accessible than HTML.

    >i beg to differ - xhtml allows you to have complex layout and content that
    >stays formatted logically

    So does HTML. Every element that exists in XHTML also exists in HTML
    and vice versa.

    There is no difference between the two other than syntax.

    Any valid XHTML document can be converted to a valid HTML document in
    a matter of minutes (or seconds with the right tool), and vice versa.

    Again, it's the difference between Transitional and Strict, not the
    difference between HTML and XHTML.

    Or can you give an example where XHTML provide more logical formatting
    than HTML?

    Steve Pugh, Aug 7, 2003