Re: XHTML Validating Forms

Discussion in 'HTML' started by symon, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. symon

    symon Guest

    Hi,

    Ok I am trying to keep my site upto W3C standards - XHTML
    Transisional...
    When I validate one of my pages which uses a form - these messages ar
    appearing..

    Line 218, column 89: character "<" is the first character of
    delimiter but occurred as data
    ...our_email" value="Top Franchise Team
    <>" />
    ^
    Line 241, column 16: an attribute value specification must be a
    attribute value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified
    <input type=hidden name="missing_fields_redirect"
    ^
    value="http://topfranchise

    I have been able to sort all the other errors but I just dont know ho
    to fix the above errors.
    The first error has a problem with the < > characters but I need tha
    in so my CGI mail script will pick out the name and email.

    The next error seems to dislike the hidden attribute..

    This is my first attempt to create an interoprable site so forgive m
    if all this seems like nonsense :
    -
    symo
    symon, Feb 25, 2004

  2. symon

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 05:22:03 GMT, symon
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Hi,

    G'day.

    > Ok I am trying to keep my site upto W3C standards - XHTML 1
    > Transisional...

    Why XHTML? And why on earth Transitional?

    > The first error has a problem with the < > characters but I need that
    > in so my CGI mail script will pick out the name and email.

    So fix your mail script.

    > The next error seems to dislike the hidden attribute..

    In XHTML all attributes must be quoted.

    HTH

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Feb 25, 2004

  3. symon wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Ok I am trying to keep my site upto W3C standards - XHTML 1
    > Transisional...
    > When I validate one of my pages which uses a form - these messages are
    > appearing..
    >
    > Line 218, column 89: character "<" is the first character of a
    > delimiter but occurred as data
    > ..our_email" value="Top Franchise Team
    > <>" />

    what is this? ---> <>

    did you want to show the "<" and ">" in the page, if so, then you must use
    &gt; and &lt;

    > ^
    > Line 241, column 16: an attribute value specification must be an
    > attribute value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified
    > <input type=hidden name="missing_fields_redirect"

    try this...
    <input type="hidden" name="missing_fields_redirect"

    > ^
    > value="http://topfranchise

    > I have been able to sort all the other errors but I just dont know how
    > to fix the above errors.
    > The first error has a problem with the < > characters but I need that
    > in so my CGI mail script will pick out the name and email.

    can you configure it so it does not rely on the "<" and ">" characters?

    Disco Octopus, Feb 25, 2004