Re: XHTML

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nick Theodorakis, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:05:02 +0200, "Thomas Smit" <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone have statistics on how widely the industry has begun adopting
    >XHTML and how may sites have been converted to this language?

    I dunno, but there are an awful lot of sites that just take their old
    table-based tag-soup layout, slap an xhtml1.0 transitional doctype on
    top, serve it up as text as per appendix c, and use the kewl slash
    thingys ( />) and somehow that's supposed to be better than a well
    structured html 4.01 strict document.

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    Nick Theodorakis, Jul 25, 2003

  2. (Nick Theodorakis) wrote:

    > I dunno, but there are an awful lot of sites that just take their old
    > table-based tag-soup layout, slap an xhtml1.0 transitional doctype on
    > top, serve it up as text as per appendix c, and use the kewl slash
    > thingys ( />) and somehow that's supposed to be better than a well
    > structured html 4.01 strict document.

    You forgot to mention that their _correct_ style sheets stop working
    correctly, when IE 6 seriously mishandles them, just because they wrote
    their XHTML according to specifications. Doctype sniffing is a grossly
    perverse idea that has been implemented in differently incompetent ways
    in different browsers, but it's when you try to use XHTML and CSS
    exactly as specified in W3C recommendations when it really attacks you.
    (See http://www.hut.fi/~hsivonen/doctype.html )

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 26, 2003