Re: xml data or other?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Angel, Nov 13, 2012.

  1. Dave Angel

    Dave Angel Guest

    On 11/09/2012 07:54 AM, Artie Ziff wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to process XML-like data like this:
    >
    > <testname=ltpacpi.sh>
    > <description>
    > ACPI (Advanced Control Power & Integration) testscript for 2.5
    > kernels.
    >
    > <\description>
    > <test_location>
    > ltp/testcases/kernel/device-drivers/acpi/ltpacpi.sh
    > <\test_location>
    > <\testname>
    > <snip...>
    >

    > Is there a name for the format above (perhaps xhtml)?

    The only word I can think of is "broken." xml and html and xhtml all
    use forward slashes.

    > I'd like to find a python module that can translate it to proper xml.
    > Does one exist? etree?

    I think you've already figured it out. Just take your description and
    turn it into Python. in other words, replace all "<\" with "</" and
    perhaps " \>" with " /", although your example doesn't happen to have
    any of these. Tack a xml header on, and try to parse it with etree.
    If you can't, then let someone manually fix it.

    Or better, fix the program upstream that's creating this mess. There
    isn't a reliable way to "fix" all the possible broken xml it might be
    creating, without reverse engineering it.

    --

    DaveA
    Dave Angel, Nov 13, 2012