Re: XML ,DOM and database

Discussion in 'XML' started by Mark Preston, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Mark Preston

    Mark Preston Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:16:24 +0800, "xguy" <> wrote:

    >I don't really understand how can we use XML and DOM to exchange information
    >among different database. I mean, each database may have a different naming
    >structure for elements, a different normalization level, and even different
    >methods of describing enumerated information. How can we practically use XML
    >and DOM as a "translator" for the information exchanged among different
    >database, like sql server database and oracle database?

    All databases have a number of things in common:-

    1. They can take "real world" data and store it.
    2. They can take their own data and produce "real world" data.
    3. Both these processes are in some way "scriptable".

    Now - XML and DOM carry "real world" data that is human-readable and
    machine processable. That means you can check it and the scriptable
    methods that will work with a database can handle it. You may have to
    do a little work BEFORE you pass it to the "script", but that is all.

    So very little work is needed to get the XML "real world" form of data
    and pass it to your scripted routines for reading into the database
    (whatever RDBMS you use).
    --
    Mark A. Preston, The Magpie's Nest, Lancashire, UK
    Website : www.magpiesnest.co.uk
    Mark Preston, Jun 24, 2003