Re: XML (fwd)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. (Mel Wilson) wrote previously:
    | And there isn't much to XML. There's a first line of
    |version information... Then there's
    |the XML object, of the form
    | <bracket metadata> contents </bracket>
    |Add a shortcut <bracket metatdata />

    Add entity escaping
    Add namespace declarations
    Add namespace modified tags
    Add namespace modified attributes
    Add CDATA sections
    Add Processing Instructions
    Add Character entities
    Add Numeric entities
    Add DTD declarations
    Add infoset modification
    Add validation against DTDs
    Add comments
    Add whitespace normalization
    Add specification of ignorable and non-ignorable whitespace

    .... and then you're almost there.

    What could be easier?

    --
    Keeping medicines from the bloodstreams of the sick; food from the bellies
    of the hungry; books from the hands of the uneducated; technology from the
    Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters

    David Mertz Guest

    Re: XML

    (Mel Wilson) wrote previously:
    |>| And there isn't much to XML. There's a first line of
    |>|version information... Then there's
    |[ ... ]
    |>Add entity escaping
    |>Add namespace declarations
    |>Add namespace modified tags
    |>Add namespace modified attributes
    |[ ... ]

    I do think a lot of people miss the difference in infoset augmentation
    during validating and non-validating parsing. Since DTDs are part of
    the XML spec, you simply cannot ignore this (except by subsetting actual
    XML). I give an example at:

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-matters26.html

    Btw. The linked article discusses RELAX NG's parsimony here. Even
    though James Clark emailed me and objected to my characterization of
    RELAX NG as still augmenting just-a-little-bit, I stand by that remark.

    Entities in DTDs (including internal subsets; were those in the addendum
    list?) are similar in this general way.

    Yours, David...

    P.S. The moral I actually take from the thread is that it is possible to
    take a small subset of actual XML, and call that simple (because it is).
    But it is a massive mental effort to understand every weird corner case
    in the XML spec.

    David Mertz, Jun 28, 2003

  3. Re: XML

    David Mertz wrote:

    > P.S. The moral I actually take from the thread is that it is possible to
    > take a small subset of actual XML, and call that simple (because it is).
    > But it is a massive mental effort to understand every weird corner case
    > in the XML spec.

    yup, that's why I've just set up a Wiki with the goal of creating a new,
    better standard. it's time to wrestle control over XML away from the
    current owners, and create something that people can actually use and
    that can rally the XML community around a common cause.

    oops. wrong forum.

    sorry /F
    Fredrik Lundh, Jun 28, 2003
  4. Mel Wilson wrote:

    > >Add entity escaping
    > >Add namespace declarations
    > >Add namespace modified tags
    > >Add namespace modified attributes

    > [ ... ]
    > >... and then you're almost there.
    > >
    > >What could be easier?

    > Thanks. I'm making a study list for my next run through
    > _XML in a Nutshell_. DTD validation I know and handwaved
    > away, the rest is on. Namespaces particularly. The people
    > I was seeing coming to Usenet to be peeved at XML were
    > dwelling on the issues I did cover. xml.sax seems to
    > have handled a lot without bothering me.

    As any reasonable XML library does, of course: when processing XML,
    you don't really need to care about more than elements, attributes,
    and character content. (IIRC, Sean McGrath used to talk about the
    four piggies; start tags, end tags, attributes, and data)

    And when producing XML, you can pick whatever subset you feel
    confident using. (usually the four piggies plus character entities).

    </F>
    Fredrik Lundh, Jun 28, 2003