Re: XML naming conventions and good practice

Discussion in 'XML' started by Peter Flynn, May 13, 2009.

  1. Peter Flynn

    Peter Flynn Guest

    mat wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Probably slightly off topic, but hopefully someone can give me some
    > insight to best practice. My problem is I've got an element that's
    > name is an irregular noun, in this case "series" So all the "series"
    > elements need to be put inside another element, currently I'm using
    > "seriesList" because the plural of series is series:
    >
    > <seriesList>
    > <series>...</series>
    > <series>...</series>
    > <series>...</series>
    > </seriesList>
    >
    > A colleague told me that this may be considered bad practice in
    > naming XML elements.

    No, it looks very conventional to me. As others have posted, some
    disciplines prefer to separate with hyphens or underscores or periods;
    others prefer capitalisations like SeriesList.

    > Can someone with more experience with XML let me know if my solution
    > is alright?

    Go for it.

    ///Peter
    --