Re: XML

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ben Finney, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Ben Finney

    Ben Finney Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:49:16 +0400 (MSD), Roman Suzi wrote:
    > OK. When I was talking about plain text, I had in mind that it has
    > some proprietary format. For example, I can easily write:
    >
    > ------------------
    > foo = "123"
    > bar = "456"
    > zoo = "la\"lala"
    > ------------------
    >
    > And it's not very hard to parse that.
    > In case of XML I will need something like
    >
    ><?xml version="1.0"?>

    This, then, is a poor choice for XML. Where XML has the advantage over
    flat ASCII text, is when the structure is more complex, especially if
    it's hierarchical (which a heck of a lot of data is). Then a flat ASCII
    file is too difficult for a human to parse *anyway*, so you might as
    well take advantage of XML and still have all the advantages of having
    the data readable in some form.

    Bleh, that reads terribly. Hope I get the point across -- XML formats
    don't give any particular advantage over simple, record-based flat ASCII
    data; they do give advantage once the structure needs to become more
    complex.

    --
    \ "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." -- |
    `\ Pablo Picasso |
    Ben Finney, Jun 24, 2003