Re: XMLHttpRequest: POST with Data

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mike Winter, Aug 26, 2012.

  1. Mike Winter

    Mike Winter Guest

    On 23/08/2012 23:00, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    > Dear JavaScripters:
    >
    > I am trying to pass data back and forth using XMLHttpRequest. I
    > have run into a few issues. The first one is the most important.
    >
    > 1) I can not get POST to work according to various documentation I
    > have found on the Web.
    >
    > Suppposedly, the .open() and .send() would be
    > oRequest.open("POST",Url,true);
    > oRequest.send(DataToSend);
    > but with this, at the server end, the .QueryString value is ""
    > regardless of what was supposedly sent.
    >
    > I have found that using the GET style of
    > oRequest.open("POST",Url+"?"+DataToSend,true);
    > oRequest.send();
    > does work. At least, it appears to.
    >
    > Am I doing something wrong, or is the documentation wrong?

    As has been indicated, you're looking in the wrong place for the data.
    The query string (.QueryString) is part of the URL used to locate the
    receiving page, hence when you modify the URL in the second example, the
    information is available.

    The POST method adds data as a "payload" in the request body sent to the
    server, and this is accessed differently through the Request.Form
    collection[1].

    If you're new to authoring server-side and you haven't already, I'd
    suggest that you read RFC 2616, Hypertext Transfer Protocol
    (HTTP/1.1)[2] to be sure you behave properly (especially when sending
    data from the server). You might also want to review Microsoft's
    overview of processing user input in ASP[3]. Though it refers to forms
    throughout, that's irrelevant in this case: the transmission method (GET
    vs. POST) is key.

    [snipped encoding question]

    Hope that helps,
    Mike

    Copied and follow-ups set to microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
    (NB. I don't read this board as I don't use ASP)

    [1] <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms525985(v=vs.90)>
    [2] <http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html>
    [3] <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms525182(v=vs.90)>

    --