Re: xmlrpclib timeouts

Discussion in 'Python' started by p2esp, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. p2esp

    p2esp Guest

    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm using the xmlrpclib module to contact an XMLRPC
    >> server that takes a long time to send results back.

    My
    >> client timeouts.
    >>
    >> The question is whether there is a way to have an
    >> xmlrpclib client that never timeouts. I have been
    >> searching for some code examples on how to do that,
    >> but I could not find any in the xmlrpclib
    >> documentation.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any hints.

    > "Client that never times out" is not a good idea,

    generally.
    > Nothing in life is certain, but even moreso in

    distributed
    > systems. Timeouts are there to protect you from all

    kinds
    > of problem conditions (busy server, crashed
    > server, etc.). You really don't want your client to

    be in a
    > position of waiting for a response that is never

    going to
    > come.

    > Paul

    Thank you Paul for your informative message.

    I do understand it's not a good idea to do this, and I
    will check what you suggest. Nevertheless, I still
    want to know: can a "never timeout" client be written
    in xmlrpclib?

    http://search.yahoo.com
    p2esp, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Maybe a timeoutsocket with really long timeout value would do what you want?

    http://www.timo-tasi.org/python/timeoutsocket.py

    import timeoutsocket
    timeoutsocket.setDefaultSocketTimeout(86400) # 24 hours

    -Ross

    Ross M Karchner, Mar 2, 2004