Re: Yet another Python textbook

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kwpolska, Nov 19, 2012.

  1. Kwpolska

    Kwpolska Guest

    URL for humans: https://github.com/femhub/nclab-textbook-python

    > Feedback and contributions are very much
    > welcome, every contributor becomes automatically
    > a co-author.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Pavel

    You are writing it for something called “NCLabâ€, not for the general
    public, and that sucks.

    1. please use math-compatible fonts in LaTeX, like Computer Modern,
    Latin Modern, Lucida Bright or MathTime (I suggest one of the first
    two). This way, stuff in the math environment won’t look differently
    than the text. Currently, your text is in a fancy font and maths are
    in Computer Modern.
    2. IMO, you should be doing a bit more general usage programming, not
    science-specific.
    3. Code highlighting for inline code and other languages, please.

    This are just my basic thoughts from looking through it.

    --
    Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
    stop html mail | always bottom-post

    Kwpolska, Nov 19, 2012

  2. Kwpolska

    alex23 Guest

    On Nov 20, 2:58 am, Kwpolska <> wrote:
    > You are writing it for something called “NCLab”, not for the general
    > public, and that sucks.

    And making it available to the general public to consume. What's wrong
    with writing for one audience and providing for a broader?

    If you're that concerned with the "NCLab"-ness of it, fork it.

    > 2. IMO, you should be doing a bit more general usage programming,
    > not science-specific.

    It's produced by the Network Computing Laboratory for Science,
    Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, of course their focus will be
    on science. It's not like there's a lack of more generalised
    programming guides for Python.

    Some nice bikeshedding there, btw.

    alex23, Nov 20, 2012

  3. On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:58:55 +0100, Kwpolska wrote:

    > On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Pavel Solin <>
    > wrote:
    >> I would like to introduce a new Python textbook aimed at high school
    >> students:
    >>
    >> http://femhub.com/textbook-python/.
    >>
    >> The textbook is open source and its public Git repository is located at
    >> Github:
    >>
    >> :femhub/nclab-textbook-python.git

    > URL for humans: https://github.com/femhub/nclab-textbook-python
    >

    >> Feedback and contributions are very much welcome, every contributor
    >> becomes automatically a co-author.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> Pavel
    >>

    > You are writing it for something called “NCLabâ€, not for the general
    > public, and that sucks.

    I don't see why you say that it sucks. Why do you care if a free, useful
    Python text book drives some eyeballs to a website?

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Nov 20, 2012