Re: Yet another Python textbook

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ian Kelly, Nov 20, 2012.

  1. Ian Kelly

    Ian Kelly Guest

    On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Pavel Solin <> wrote:
    > There is an ongoing discussion but we are not sure.
    > Are there any reasons except for the print () command
    > and division of integers?

    The big one is that Python 3 holds the future of Python development.
    There are no more feature releases planned for the 2.x series, only
    maintenance releases. Eventually, Python 2.7 is going to start
    looking pretty old.

    You might look through the whatsnew documents at:

    http://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/index.html

    to get an idea of what features have been added in Python 3. Many of
    these have been backported to Python 2.6 or 2.7, possibly requiring a
    __future__ import, but most have not. One change that comes to my
    mind that might be of interest for NCLab is that in Python 3.3, the
    decimal module has been rewritten in C for a major speed-up.
    Ian Kelly, Nov 20, 2012