Re: Yet another Python textbook

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Nov 20, 2012.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 11/20/2012 3:02 AM, Pavel Solin wrote:

    > underway get Python 3 into NCLab?
    >

    > There is an ongoing discussion but we are not sure.
    > Are there any reasons except for the print () command
    > and division of integers?

    (In addition to Ian's answer, which points to an already long list of
    new features...)

    There are two separate questions.
    First, which versions of Python should NCLab support? I would say both
    2.7 and 3.x+. Since Py3 support does not exist now, starting with 3.3+
    might work best.

    Second, if NCLab supported both, which to teach in the book? I would say
    3.3+. Python 3 has many improvements from a teaching standpoint.

    For instance, old-style classes are gone, so class statements produce
    modern-style classes by default. You can just say that the headers

    class C:
    class C(object):

    have the same effect and never mention that there was once a separate
    user-class system.

    Py 3 used unicode for text, and 3.3 now has a correct and portable
    unicode implementation. While non-ascii and even non-latin1 characters
    are not needed for interfacing with ascii-only instruments, scientific
    text uses lots of them.

    > Perhaps you are right. Is there any statistics of how many Python
    > programmers are using 2.7 vs. 3? Most of people I know use 2.7.

    Experienced Python programmers are not the target of your book. Many
    school/university classes have moved to Py3, and more will in the future.

    Many people who want to move to Py3 cannot because they *have to use* a
    Py2-only library.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Nov 20, 2012