Re_: Best way to run ipython inside of emacs shell?

Yaroslav Bulatov

Hi,
I had the same problem. It has to do with ipython.el not finding the
IPython executable.

To fix it, open ipython.el, and replace line
(when (executable-find "ipython")
with
(when (executable-find "ipython.bat")

Next, add file ipython.bat to your path containing something like the
following:
C:\Python23\python.exe "C:\Program Files\IPython\IPython_shell.py"

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work right on windows. The prompts
are missing so it's almost unusable.

Yaroslav

Fernando Perez

Yaroslav said:
I had the same problem. It has to do with ipython.el not finding the
IPython executable.

To fix it, open ipython.el, and replace line
(when (executable-find "ipython")
with
(when (executable-find "ipython.bat")

Next, add file ipython.bat to your path containing something like the
following:
C:\Python23\python.exe "C:\Program Files\IPython\IPython_shell.py"

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work right on windows. The prompts
are missing so it's almost unusable.

Are you having this problem with the emacs support stuff currently available
from the ipython site? There's a special python-mode.el in there which is
different from the default one shipped with emacs (because the maintainers have
ignored Alex Schmolck's patches for a long time).

That might help (or not, I have no way of testing under windows, though I know
it works ok in unix).

Best,