Re_: Best way to run ipython inside of emacs shell?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Yaroslav Bulatov, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. > Hi,

    > Equis Uno wrote:
    >
    > > I use meta-x shell to start a shell and then once I see a shell
    > > prompt I enter the python command and I get a well-behaved python
    > > shell inside of emacs.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to figure out the best way to run ipython inside of emacs.

    I had the same problem. It has to do with ipython.el not finding the
    IPython executable.

    To fix it, open ipython.el, and replace line
    (when (executable-find "ipython")
    with
    (when (executable-find "ipython.bat")

    Next, add file ipython.bat to your path containing something like the
    following:
    C:\Python23\python.exe "C:\Program Files\IPython\IPython_shell.py"

    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work right on windows. The prompts
    are missing so it's almost unusable.

    Yaroslav

    Yaroslav Bulatov, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Yaroslav Bulatov wrote:

    >> Equis Uno wrote:
    >>
    >> > I use meta-x shell to start a shell and then once I see a shell
    >> > prompt I enter the python command and I get a well-behaved python
    >> > shell inside of emacs.
    >> >
    >> > I'm trying to figure out the best way to run ipython inside of emacs.

    > I had the same problem. It has to do with ipython.el not finding the
    > IPython executable.
    >
    > To fix it, open ipython.el, and replace line
    > (when (executable-find "ipython")
    > with
    > (when (executable-find "ipython.bat")
    >
    > Next, add file ipython.bat to your path containing something like the
    > following:
    > C:\Python23\python.exe "C:\Program Files\IPython\IPython_shell.py"
    >
    > Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work right on windows. The prompts
    > are missing so it's almost unusable.

    Are you having this problem with the emacs support stuff currently available
    from the ipython site? There's a special python-mode.el in there which is
    different from the default one shipped with emacs (because the maintainers have
    ignored Alex Schmolck's patches for a long time).

    That might help (or not, I have no way of testing under windows, though I know
    it works ok in unix).

    Best,

    Fernando Perez, Aug 3, 2004