reaction to TMC PetStore case sudy

Pat Ryan

I recently came across this:
http://www.middleware-company.com/casestudy/tmc-performance-study-jul-2003.pdf

which compares the performance of reference J2EE and .Net applications based
on Sun's petstore demo.

The original benchmark in 2002 showed J2EE well behind .Net on all scores -
and caused quite a ruction, eventually resulting in the July 2003 re-match,
which showed them to be very nearly equal on all scores.

I would be interested in looking at more discussion on this - but a google
groups search on
middleware benchmark petstore
middleware benchmark "pet store"
middleware "case study" petstore
middleware "case study" "pet store"

reveals nothing after about May 2003 - i.e before the results of the
re-match were published

Can any one point to me to some informed reaction to this study?

Jon A. Cruz

Pat said:
I recently came across this:
http://www.middleware-company.com/casestudy/tmc-performance-study-jul-2003.pdf

which compares the performance of reference J2EE and .Net applications based
on Sun's petstore demo.

I remember reading a few things on this. The biggest was that Sun's demo
was an exercise of many different APIs in a generic, extensible manner
while Microsoft's was mainly a single large hardcoded kludge. (thus
comparing apples to oranges)

The story had popped up on Slashdot a few times. You might check a quick
search there.