    the JTable and read the files from the server as and when more info is
    needed. I should also be able to browse back and forth.

    Thanks.
    dcm, Apr 25, 2007

  2. dcm

    Eric Sosman Guest

    dcm wrote On 04/25/07 14:56,:
    > I have to read huge (GB) delimited files from a server and
    > display them in JTable. We will be using Java web start to invoke the
    > application so I do not want to cache locally on the client machine.
    >
    > Is there a better way to cache the file in bits and display them in
    > the JTable and read the files from the server as and when more info is
    > needed. I should also be able to browse back and forth.

    That'll be an *enormous* JTable, probably much too
    large for a human to comprehend. Let's see: If your
    "delimited file" uses ten characters per cell and you've
    got ten columns per row, the table will have about ten
    million rows, give or take a few multiples of Finagle's
    Variable Constant[*]. Nobody is going to learn much by
    scrolling around in a table of that size.

    By "caching in bits" I guess you mean to store pixel
    images of the cells, maybe a row at a time or something.
    If each cell is fifty by twenty pixels and you limit them
    to four colors you'll need 200 bits = 8 bytes each, which
    is only about a 20% savings (I'm assuming the ten "source"
    characters can be encoded as one byte per character).
    Compression might help, but compression mixes poorly with
    random access; you'd probably want to divide the table into
    "pages" and compress each page separately, then stitch the
    pieces together as needed at the client side.

    ... but this still doesn't solve the basic problem of
    the enormous size of the JTable; I have a hard time imagining
    how a human being could make effective use of such a thing.
    What sort of information is in this table, and might there
    be better ways to let the user explore it than just giving
    him or her ten million rows and a scroll bar?

    Eric Sosman, Apr 25, 2007