read and write file from network drive (NAS)

oceandeep

I have a NAS machine within the dmzone with IP 192.168.11.xxx
where i want to write and read file from a designated location

I have created 2 folders "source" and "target" in the NAS, which i can
access through explorer
from the Web Server Machine by UNC path "\\192.168.11.xxx\source" and
"\\192.168.11.xxx\target" respectively.

However, in ASP.net (VB) code when i tried to read the file by the same UNC
path "\\192.168.11.xxx\source" , it returns error message "Logon failure:
unknown user name or bad password"

I have tried to allow full control of ASPNET user in the NAS and put ASPNET
user in the webserver side to the group "administrators" but still doesnt
help.

I searched through the web and found some results about i have to
"impersonate" the ASP.NET instance and assign a valid username and password
of the NAS. I have followed this article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306158#2 and
implemented the code to impersonate a different user.

my webserver platform is Win 2003, VS.net 2003 , .Net Framework 1.1

thanks!

Tony Bukres

[...]

Are you using Active Directory? If yes, you need to set up delegation in
the domain controller.

Tony

Paul Clement

¤
[...]

If you're using Anonymous (no) authentication (w/o impersonation) then the local ASPNET account must
have the same credentials (password) on both machines in order to delegate security.

If you're using Basic authentication (w/impersonation) then you can use a domain account to delegate
security. If you're using local accounts in a workgroup environment then user credentials must be
the same on both computers in order to delegate security.

Credentials cannot be delegated when using Integrated Windows NT authentication unless you implement
Kerberos, which doesn't sound possible in your network configuration.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)