Read and write to Excel and Word on client

polabear

I'm converting a VB6/SQL Server application to a web application. I need to
read data to and from Excel and Word. I'm not allowed to install Excel and
Word on the server, only on the client. Is there a way to use client side
scripts to read from and write to Excel/Word files?

Any suggestions are appreciated
Thanks,
polarbear

Patrice

Doing so would require significant changes regarding security (for example
putting the site in the trusted sites list). Is this an intranet ?

Another option would be let the user upload Office documents saved under the
XML format (or whatever you can read server side wihtout the application).

Still another one would be to have the user use a macro that posts the
needed information to your web site (are they supposed to use a template
file ? )...

For Excel only, a last one would be to use the file as a data source and use
an ADO provider to read its content

The big picture may help...

polabear

Thanks for the quick reply.

This is an intranet site with only 5 - 10 users.

Would that make things easier?

Thanks,