read csv file in iframe as text file

sukhmeet

Hi,
I am trying to load a csv file in Iframe element. I just want to
load it as a text file.
however when i load the file in iframe it asks to open the file and
finally opens it with excel in IE window itself. If i save the save
file as .txt it is being read properly.I need to save the file in csv
format only so that it can be edited externally with excel easily.
Later on i want to display the read csv file in javascript and do some
processing on it.
Does any know how do this. The basic problem is to stop IE from
invoking excel to open csv file and instead read the file as text.

Following code works for .txt file

<iframe name="loader" id="frm" width="1000" height="300"
style="visibility:hidden;display:none" src="Book1.txt"></iframe>

and when i use this line it tries to open the file using excel which i
don't want.

<iframe name="loader" id="frm" width="1000" height="300"
style="visibility:hidden;display:none" src="Book1.csv"></iframe>

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Sukhmeet

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
[...]

There really isn't anything you can do - it depends on the user's
browser and system. If the user's system wants to do that, it will.

By the way, .txt files can also be opened by Excel.

Ben C

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in

There really isn't anything you can do - it depends on the user's
browser and system. If the user's system wants to do that, it will.

Might it depend on the MIME type header delivered with the file? If the
extension is csv the server might send it as application/ms-excel or
something and that's what causes IE to try to open it in Excel? If so
the server can be configured to send it as text/plain instead.

It's equally possible IE itself just looks at the extension and ignores
the MIME type anyway. In which case there's nothing you can do.

Andy Dingley

I am trying to load a csv file in Iframe element. I just want to
load it as a text file.

Configure your web server so that it serves this file with a Content-
type (MIME type) of "text/plain". This should then be displayed by
the browser. If the content-type is text/csv, application/csv etc.,
then any copies of Excel on the user's desktop are likely to try and
display it instead.

If you can't change the content-type header for .csv in this
directory, just try renaming the file to .txt instead. That will
nearly always cause the server to serve it as text/plain.