Read-only btree

Chris

I need a really simple, on-disk, read-only btree to hold a very large
amount of data. By "read-only" I mean that the tree will get populated
once, with keys that are already in order, written to disk, and then
queried. It will never be updated.

The sql databases out there have too much overhead and are too slow for
the type of access I need.

The functions I need are 1. initial population, 2. seek by (partial)
key, 3. iterate through keys/values in order.

Any suggestions?

Patricia Shanahan

Chris said:
I need a really simple, on-disk, read-only btree to hold a very large
amount of data. By "read-only" I mean that the tree will get populated
once, with keys that are already in order, written to disk, and then
queried. It will never be updated.

The sql databases out there have too much overhead and are too slow for
the type of access I need.

The functions I need are 1. initial population, 2. seek by (partial)
key, 3. iterate through keys/values in order.

Any suggestions?

Btree is a compromise between lookup efficiency and efficiency of
insertion, deletion etc. You don't seem to need those compromises.

Why not a simple, dense, hierarchical index structure? The high levels
of the index can be memory resident, reducing disk reads.

Patricia

Chris

Patricia said:
Btree is a compromise between lookup efficiency and efficiency of
insertion, deletion etc. You don't seem to need those compromises.

Why not a simple, dense, hierarchical index structure? The high levels
of the index can be memory resident, reducing disk reads.

Good point. Can you point me to such a structure? Or better yet, a
library that implements one?