Read Only Checkbox(list) ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by /.., Jul 22, 2003.

  1. /..

    /.. Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm working on a report display page that currently uses 5
    checkboxlists with a total of 86 items to display values from 5
    different tables in an Access database.

    The page works fine now. On presenting it to the users they pointed
    out that their users could change the values in the checkboxes and
    then print them out, ultimately documenting false information.

    I use these controls entirely to display boolean values from query
    lookups. How can I make the checkboxlists read only?

    I tried putting a checkboxlist in a web-forms panel control, and
    setting the panel to read-only, like in older versions of Visual
    Basic. While the checkboxes that were checked did display, and all
    were read only, they were "grayed out", very low contrast and hard to
    read.

    I imagine that this could be done by inheriting the control class and
    adding methods or properties to it, but that is beyond what I've ever
    done, esp. in dot.net -- I'm kinda new to the subject, if not to
    programming.

    This has to be a FAQ, but I've been searching the web and don't find
    anything close to answering the question.

    I work mostly in C# (in ASP/ADO.Net)

    Thanks,

    /ts

    --

    exec rm -r /bin/laden*

    ##--------------------------------------------------##
    "We are stardust, we are golden,
    And we've got to get ourselves back to the Garden"
    Joni Mitchell
    ##--------------------------------------------------##
    /.., Jul 22, 2003

  2. Here's an option for you to use.

    Put the below code into your page. Then called the javascript function
    enableFormElement on page load. Use the below function call:

    enableFormElement( <form element>, <Is the element editable (true/false)> )

    That will allow you to make checkbox's, radio button, textboxs, textareas,
    etc, ALL either editable or not.

    Now don't say I never gave you anything!

    Enjoy

    Chaitanya Marvici

    Code below:

    function enableFormElement( element, editable ) {

    if( element.length && ( ( element.name + "" ) == "undefined" ) ) { //This is
    used if a group of elements, all with the same name

    for( var x = 0; x < element.length; x++ ) { //is sent to the function. It
    will loop through and recursively

    enableFormElement( element[x], editable ); //call this function to correctly
    turn the readonly stuff off/on.

    }

    } else {

    if( ( element.type != "hidden" ) && ( element.type != "button" ) && (
    element.type != "image") ) {

    var focusStr = element.onfocus + "";

    var clickStr = element.onclick + "";

    var changeStr = element.onchange + "";

    var focusFunction, clickFunction, changeFunction;

    focusStr = trim( focusStr.substring( focusStr.indexOf("{") + 1,
    focusStr.lastIndexOf("}") ) );

    clickStr = trim( clickStr.substring( clickStr.indexOf("{") + 1,
    clickStr.lastIndexOf("}") ) );

    if( element.type.indexOf( "select" ) >= 0 ) {

    changeStr = trim( changeStr.substring( changeStr.indexOf("{") + 1,
    changeStr.lastIndexOf("}") ) );

    }

    if( ! editable ) {

    if( ( browserType == IE ) || ( browserType == Nav6 ) ) { element.readonly =
    true; }

    focusFunction = new Function( "e", "blurElement( this );\n" + focusStr )

    clickFunction = new Function( "e", "blurElement( this );\n" + clickStr )

    if( element.type == "radio" || element.type == "checkbox" ) {

    element.checkedTemp = element.checked;

    }

    if( element.type.indexOf( "select" ) >= 0 ) {

    changeFunction = new Function( "e", "resetElement( this );\n" + changeStr )

    }

    } else {

    var strStart;

    if( ( browserType == IE ) || ( browserType == Nav6 ) ) { element.readonly =
    false; }

    strStart = focusStr.lastIndexOf( "blurElement( this );" );

    if( strStart != -1 ) { focusFunction = new Function( "e", focusStr.substr(
    strStart + "blurElement( this );".length, focusStr.length ) ) }

    strStart = clickStr.lastIndexOf( "blurElement( this );" );

    if( strStart != -1 ) { clickFunction = new Function( "e", clickStr.substr(
    strStart + "blurElement( this );".length, clickStr.length ) ) }

    if( element.type.indexOf( "select" ) >= 0 ) {

    strStart = changeStr.lastIndexOf( "resetElement( this );" );

    if( strStart != -1 ) { changeFunction = new Function( "e",
    changeStr.substr( strStart + "resetElement( this );".length,
    changeStr.length ) ) }

    if( typeof( focusFunction ) != "undefined" ) { element.onfocus =
    focusFunction; }

    if( typeof( clickFunction ) != "undefined" ) { element.onclick =
    clickFunction; }

    if( element.type.indexOf( "select" ) >= 0 ) {

    if( typeof( changeFunction ) != "undefined" ) { element.onchange =
    changeFunction; }

    }

    } // End check for form element type

    function enableElements( f ) {

    var numOfElements = f.length

    var setFocus = false;

    var proxyMarker = "Proxy";

    for ( e = 0; e < numOfElements; e++ ) {

    var visibleElement = f.elements[e];

    var valueElement = f.elements[e];

    if ( visibleElement.type=="checkbox") {

    var visibleElementName = visibleElement.name;

    if ( visibleElementName.indexOf(proxyMarker) >= 0 ) { // if proxy checkbox

    var valueElementName = visibleElementName.substring( 0,
    visibleElementName.indexOf(proxyMarker) );

    valueElement = f.elements[ valueElementName ];

    enableFormElement( visibleElement, isElementEditable( valueElement ) );

    function blurElement( element ) {

    if( element.type == "radio" || element.type == "checkbox" ) {

    if( eval( "document." + element.form.name + "." + element.name +
    ".length" ) ) {

    for( var x = 0; x < eval( "document." + element.form.name + "." +
    element.name + ".length" ); x++ ) {

    eval( "document." + element.form.name + "." + element.name + "[" + x +
    "].checked = " + "document." + element.form.name + "." + element.name + "["
    + x + "].checkedTemp ? true : false;" );

    }

    } else {

    element.checked = element.checkedTemp ? true : false;

    if( element.type.indexOf( "select" ) >= -1 ) {

    element.selectIndexTemp = element.selectedIndex;

    }

    element.blur();

    }

    function resetElement( element ) {

    if( element.type.indexOf( "select" ) >= -1 ) {

    element.selectedIndex = element.selectIndexTemp;

    "/.." <> wrote in message
    > By Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:06:43 -0700, "Steve C. Orr, MCSD"
    > <> decided to post
    > "Re: Read Only Checkbox(list) ?" to
    > microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet:
    >
    > >You might consider this is a bit of a hack, but how about changing the
    > >background color of the page or panel so there is greater contrast with

    the

    Chaitanya Marvici, Jul 22, 2003

  3. /..

    /.. Guest

    By Tue, 22 Jul 2003 03:38:17 GMT, "Chaitanya Marvici"
    <>
    decided to post
    "Re: Read Only Checkbox(list) ?" to
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet:

    >For those that are interested, there is a more readable brief tutorial
    >available at :
    >
    >http://www.bitmap-productions.com/default.aspx?page=tutorials&tutorialid=8
    >
    >Enjoy!
    >
    >Chaitanya Marvici

    Thanks a lot for the javascript code. I will look at it and learn a
    lot, I'm sure. It didn't suit my client to use it, for their own
    reasons, so I decided to go with images -- choice of images based on
    bool value in db. I did a screen cap of the two states of a check
    box and made very small bitmaps to use.

    The code winds up fairly inelegant, but works like a charm. Nothing
    elegant about this app anyway, it's based on accessing an Access
    database that has been developed since at least 1997; dozens of
    tables with similar columns, but slightly differing names, so I can't
    cycle through and set values, but have to nominate them individually,
    and so on. So goes the war.

    Still there must be a FAQ dealing with read-only checkboxes or a
    tutorial somewhere on how to extend the class with a new user-class??

    /ts

    --

    exec rm -r /bin/laden*

    ##--------------------------------------------------##
    /.., Jul 23, 2003
  4. /..

    bkuhn

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    ReadOnly CheckBoxList

    It is actually very easy (not intuitive - but easy!).

    in VB..

    for each mylistitem as listitem in me.mycheckboxlist
    mylistitem.Attributes.Add("onclick", "return false;")
    next

    That's all there is to it!
    bkuhn, Jul 1, 2009