Read-only dropdown list with related data in non-editable datagrid

Larry Rekow

Using: MS SQL, VS.Net 2003, VB.Net

Each night our SQL db imports two text file reports into two tables:
Table 1 has info on various shipments (shipment number, date,
destination, etc.)
Table 2 has dates and shipping events for the various shipping
numbers. (only 3 columns for date, shipment number and shipping event)

I've creates an aspx page where the customer can select shipment by
either a date range or by a word in one of the Table 1 fields, and the
datagrid displays the various shipments.

Currently I have the shipment number as a hyperlink that takes the
customer to a different aspx page where it shows another datagrid of
dates and shipping events from Table 2 for that particular shipment
number.

My question is: instead of going to a different page, could clicking
the shipment number instead just create a dropdown list that would
display the dates and shipping events? None of this data is editable,
for display and info only. I'm guessing this is possible, but I just
need some direction as I'm quite new to this.

Thanks,

Larry Rekow
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Lucas Tam

My question is: instead of going to a different page, could clicking
the shipment number instead just create a dropdown list that would
display the dates and shipping events? None of this data is editable,
for display and info only. I'm guessing this is possible, but I just
need some direction as I'm quite new to this.

On postback do a databind on the textbox (or datagrid) based on the value
in the drop down list.

There will need to be a trip back to server to fetch the information from
the database.