Read-Only Problem with Access Database

Graham Taylor

I've tried posting this in the 'microsoft.public.access' but I will post it
here also, as I think it might be the webserver which is causing my problem.
---------
I have an Access 2003 database which is in the "fpdb" folder of my
webserver. Its located there so that I can use asp to build a web-based
front-end for users to read the database -
http://www.nist.ac.th/maths/test1.asp

The MBD file is edited using Access (2003) and opening it through the UNC
path to the server. When we open it in Access to edit it, we get this error
message:
"The database 'NAME' is read-only.
You won't be able to save changes made to data or object definitions in the
database."

If I make a copy of the file (in the same folder or elsewhere) its ok.
If I restart the server the problem goes away for a few hours (is it a
"session" problem?).
If I try to delete or rename the file, I get the message that I cannot,
because "It is being used
by another person or program". However, if I check in 'Computer Management'
on the webserver the file is NOT open.

When I do open the file for editing, the OPEN MODE in Computer Management
shows the MDB file as "read" and the LDB file shows as "write+read".

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,
Graham

Kyle Peterson

also, what your doing can get iffy in general
really not the best idea to be opening/editing an Access database live on a
webserver when asp code is also reading from it

but.. who knows.. I suppose it could work out trouble free but most likely
not as you are experiencing

Graham Taylor

Thanks. I've checked all permissions and they are correct.

As I said in my first message, if I reboot the webserver, the file is fine
for a few hours, then the same thing happens again. I checked it before I
left the office last night - fine. Nobody opened it in Access overnight.
This morning, can't edit it again.

The problem is only trying to open the file for editing in Access - the
web-based front end works fine all the time.

Graham Taylor

Good point - but I can't really think of a better way to do it. I'm not
prepared to put in the time to build a set of entry/modify asp front-end
screens for it, as only one or two people will ever edit it. I could copy
it off the webserver for editing and then upload it again, but, as a number
of the fields are hyperlinks to documents on the webserver, it makes it
difficult creating them when the mdb file is in a different location.

Kyle Peterson

There are applications of applications out there both free and pay... that
can create all the asp pages needed to edit a database quickly. They
basically are wizards that look at your database strucure and write generic
code to edit/save/add info.

I would search for some of those possibly.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Graham said:
[...]

Hmm. Are you meticulously closing and destroying your connections in your
code when finished with them?
When I do open the file for editing, the OPEN MODE in Computer
Management shows the MDB file as "read" and the LDB file shows as
"write+read".

Does the ldb file get deleted after the last user exits the database? If
not, you have permissions problems
Given that permissions are correct (all users of the database, including the
IUSR_machinename account, require Change/Modify permissions for the folder
containing the database) there should be no issues opening a database in
Access while asp is reading from it. You most likely have a permissions
problem.

Are you compacting the database periodically? This sometimes has the effect
of removing previously-set permissions for the database file (a new file is
created during the compact/repair process)

Graham Taylor

Bizarre - as of yesterday, the problem has fixed itself . . . the MDB file
has behaved iself completely. Nobody has changed anything (that I am aware
of) in the setup, and I hate it when inexplicable things like this happen!

Anyway, thanks for all your advice Kyle.

Graham