Read-Only Problem with Access Database

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Graham Taylor, May 10, 2005.

  1. I've tried posting this in the 'microsoft.public.access' but I will post it
    here also, as I think it might be the webserver which is causing my problem.
    ---------
    I have an Access 2003 database which is in the "fpdb" folder of my
    webserver. Its located there so that I can use asp to build a web-based
    front-end for users to read the database -
    http://www.nist.ac.th/maths/test1.asp

    The MBD file is edited using Access (2003) and opening it through the UNC
    path to the server. When we open it in Access to edit it, we get this error
    message:
    "The database 'NAME' is read-only.
    You won't be able to save changes made to data or object definitions in the
    database."

    If I make a copy of the file (in the same folder or elsewhere) its ok.
    If I restart the server the problem goes away for a few hours (is it a
    "session" problem?).
    If I try to delete or rename the file, I get the message that I cannot,
    because "It is being used
    by another person or program". However, if I check in 'Computer Management'
    on the webserver the file is NOT open.

    When I do open the file for editing, the OPEN MODE in Computer Management
    shows the MDB file as "read" and the LDB file shows as "write+read".

    Any ideas why this is happening?

    Thanks,
    Graham
    Graham Taylor, May 10, 2005

  2. double check permissions on the folder.. not just the files in it.. (the
    folder)
    http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/windows_2003_server_and_permissions.asp

    also make sure no other programs have the database opened exclusively

    Kyle Peterson, May 10, 2005

  3. also, what your doing can get iffy in general
    really not the best idea to be opening/editing an Access database live on a
    webserver when asp code is also reading from it

    but.. who knows.. I suppose it could work out trouble free but most likely
    not as you are experiencing

    Kyle Peterson, May 10, 2005
  4. Thanks. I've checked all permissions and they are correct.

    As I said in my first message, if I reboot the webserver, the file is fine
    for a few hours, then the same thing happens again. I checked it before I
    left the office last night - fine. Nobody opened it in Access overnight.
    This morning, can't edit it again.

    The problem is only trying to open the file for editing in Access - the
    web-based front end works fine all the time.

    Graham Taylor, May 10, 2005
  5. Good point - but I can't really think of a better way to do it. I'm not
    prepared to put in the time to build a set of entry/modify asp front-end
    screens for it, as only one or two people will ever edit it. I could copy
    it off the webserver for editing and then upload it again, but, as a number
    of the fields are hyperlinks to documents on the webserver, it makes it
    difficult creating them when the mdb file is in a different location.

    Graham Taylor, May 10, 2005
  6. There are applications of applications out there both free and pay... that
    can create all the asp pages needed to edit a database quickly. They
    basically are wizards that look at your database strucure and write generic
    code to edit/save/add info.

    I would search for some of those possibly.

    Kyle Peterson, May 10, 2005
  7. Graham Taylor wrote:
    > I've tried posting this in the 'microsoft.public.access' but I will
    > post it here also, as I think it might be the webserver which is
    > causing my problem. ---------
    > I have an Access 2003 database which is in the "fpdb" folder of my
    > webserver. Its located there so that I can use asp to build a
    > web-based front-end for users to read the database -
    > http://www.nist.ac.th/maths/test1.asp
    >
    > The MBD file is edited using Access (2003) and opening it through the
    > UNC path to the server. When we open it in Access to edit it, we get
    > this error message:
    > "The database 'NAME' is read-only.
    > You won't be able to save changes made to data or object definitions
    > in the database."
    >
    > If I make a copy of the file (in the same folder or elsewhere) its ok.
    > If I restart the server the problem goes away for a few hours (is it a
    > "session" problem?).
    > If I try to delete or rename the file, I get the message that I
    > cannot, because "It is being used
    > by another person or program". However, if I check in 'Computer
    > Management' on the webserver the file is NOT open.

    Hmm. Are you meticulously closing and destroying your connections in your
    code when finished with them?

    > When I do open the file for editing, the OPEN MODE in Computer
    > Management shows the MDB file as "read" and the LDB file shows as
    > "write+read".

    Does the ldb file get deleted after the last user exits the database? If
    not, you have permissions problems

    Given that permissions are correct (all users of the database, including the
    IUSR_machinename account, require Change/Modify permissions for the folder
    containing the database) there should be no issues opening a database in
    Access while asp is reading from it. You most likely have a permissions
    problem.

    Are you compacting the database periodically? This sometimes has the effect
    of removing previously-set permissions for the database file (a new file is
    created during the compact/repair process)

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 10, 2005
  8. Bizarre - as of yesterday, the problem has fixed itself . . . the MDB file
    has behaved iself completely. Nobody has changed anything (that I am aware
    of) in the setup, and I hate it when inexplicable things like this happen!

    Anyway, thanks for all your advice Kyle.

    Graham

    Graham Taylor, May 13, 2005