Read/Write IO on socket file descriptor?

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Patrick LeBoutillier, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm trying to perform read and write I/O on a socket file descriptor
    received for another process via a Unix Domain Socket. In trying to
    understand all this I came up with a small test script that is not
    working for me:

    use strict ;
    use IO::Socket::INET ;

    my $socket = new IO::Socket::INET(
    PeerAddr => 'www.perl.com',
    PeerPort => 80,
    Proto => 'tcp',
    ) ;

    my $rfd = fileno($socket) ;
    my $rfh = new IO::Handle->fdopen($rfd, "r") ;
    my $wfd = fileno($socket) ;
    my $wfh = new IO::Handle->fdopen($wfd, "w") ;

    print "$rfd $rfh $wfd $wfh\n" ;
    print $wfh "GET / HTTP/1.0\n\n" ;
    print "Sent GET...\n" ;
    my $line = <$rfh> ;
    print $line ;

    Should this work? It seems as though printing to $wfh
    does nothing, and then the <$rfh> is hanging.

    If this is not the way to go about this, what else can I do
    to perform read AND write I/O on a socket file descriptor?

    I'm using Perl 5.6.1 on Linux RH 7.1

    Thanks,

    Patrick LeBoutillier

    Patrick LeBoutillier, Jul 19, 2003